Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was it worth $100 a month?

• I don't mind spending a bit more to get something cool first.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I'm MAD!

Votes: 86 67.2%

• Total voters

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
8GB iphones are now $399. Are you mad you didn't wait, or was it worth it to you to be first on the block?

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
For me it was worth it, its a great phone.
But whatever we say now it doesnt make a difference.
At least now people would have an opportunity to purchase this great phone at a more affortable price.

j0ebeer

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
Too much, too early

I understand boosting holiday sales but dropping the price 33% 70 days after product launch. That's nuts, think of the number of loyalists they've just pissed off.

They should've at least waited until Nov for the holiday season to start and then maybe a $100 off.

My .02 cents.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Dropping the price was a GREAT idea! I bet the "refurbished' iPhones were really a test run to see how the lower prices attracted customers.

Obviously some who paid the original price will be upset, but dropping the price brings more customers so it can only help Apple. Good move.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I understand boosting holiday sales but dropping the price 33% 70 days after product launch. That's nuts, think of the number of loyalists they've just pissed off.

They should've at least waited until Nov for the holiday season to start and then maybe a $100 off.

My .02 cents.

Or offer some sort of rebate. Not everyone will apply for one but you will satisfy those causing a storm at the moment .... You should have seen the apple discussion board before they took it down (Not to mention all the deleted posts/locked topics here)... Apple has to respond somehow even if its some PR stunt where they "claim" to be taking care of the customers by issuing some sort of credit.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Dropping the price was a GREAT idea! I bet the "refurbished' iPhones were really a test run to see how the lower prices attracted customers.

Obviously some who paid the original price will be upset, but dropping the price brings more customers so it can only help Apple. Good move.

If that's the case - I wonder if the refurbed ones were really just new ones - which would allow apple to test to see if price was the biggest issue for potential buyers.

-Evan

stoid

macrumors 601
For those of you that just purchased the iPhone @ $599:

1) It is worth $599 to you.
You thought out your purchase, decided that it was a good buy for the value, and paid what you determined to be a fair price. Sure you would have paid less if you could have, but you can still expect to get from the device what you paid for it.​

2) It is not worth $599 to you.
You purchased the iPhone for the hell of it. You spent more money than you wanted too. In the future you should spend more time thinking about a product and its value to you before you spend you money so that you don't experience buyer's remorse and bitch and complain online like a little kid that dropped his ice cream cone.

And don't come back and whine, "but $599 is a LOT of money." If it is a lot of money to you, maybe you should have used that money to pay rent or buy food or gas rather than waste it on a planned-obsolescence piece of technology.​

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
For those of you that just purchased the iPhone @ $599:

1) It is worth $599 to you.
You thought out your purchase, decided that it was a good buy for the value, and paid what you determined to be a fair price. Sure you would have paid less if you could have, but you can still expect to get from the device what you paid for it.​

2) It is not worth $599 to you.
You purchased the iPhone for the hell of it. You spent more money than you wanted too. In the future you should spend more time thinking about a product and its value to you before you spend you money so that you don't experience buyer's remorse and bitch and complain online like a little kid that dropped his ice cream cone.

And don't come back and whine, "but $599 is a LOT of money." If it is a lot of money to you, maybe you should have used that money to pay rent or buy food or gas rather than waste it on a planned-obsolescence piece of technology.​

+1

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX

Who cares if it helps Apple? It doesn't help those of us approximately 750,000 people who just contributed at least $150,000,000 to Apple's bottom line. I will give a lot of thought before I become an early adopter of Apple products again.

PJF13

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
No regrets here. I love my iPhone and I've loved it for the last two months. I am thrilled to see a lower price point now. Let the iPhone spread even wider now!

JC4

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
I wouldn't be pissed if Apple had at least fixed my phone, so I could use iPod and Safari at the same time. So, I paid and extra $200 to be a beta tester, and still don't have running code?

2 months and they drop the price by 1/3? Sounds like a failing product to me, or a deliberate slap in the face to early adopters. Last early adoption for me Apple. You can kiss my a$$.

JohnC

Wanderer

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Hell Yes!

:D
8GB iphones are now $399. Are you mad you didn't wait, or was it worth it to you to be first on the block?

Yea, since I thought that it would be six months till I had to replace it with the next latest and greatest. It's only money and you may be dead tomorow. Enjoy life, don't covet things, have them.
:D

locomien

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
pisssst

I got mine like 3 weeks ago or so, its been in the repair shop twice now, I should have waited!! I want my $200!!!

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
bottom line you wnted it and you payed what you thought it was worth, same thing happened to me when the tv i bought went on sale 50% the day after i bought it, yet i still enjoy that tv even though i payed more for it wow, i must be stupid to enjoy something i bought.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It's NOT $100 a month

iPhone past-$599
AT&T Contract-$1438

iPhone cost- $2037

New costs :

iPhone -$399
AT&T Contract-$1438

new iPhone cost- $1837

Difference over 2 years : $200

$200 / 2 Years = $8.33 a month

TOTAL Price Difference is - $8.33 X 2 months = $16.66

Get over it people..

seniorstinky

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It's NOT $100 a month

iPhone past-$599
AT&T Contract-$1438

iPhone cost- $2037

New costs :

iPhone -$399
AT&T Contract-$1438

new iPhone cost- $1837

Difference over 2 years : $200

$200 / 2 Years = $8.33 a month

TOTAL Price Difference is - $8.33 X 2 months = $16.66

Get over it people..

If one were expensing the phone over the life of the plan, you have a point. If I were a business, I'd buy your logic.

As most of these phones are for personal use, however, cash flow matters. It's $200 out of hand less than yesterday.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If one were expensing the phone over the life of the plan, you have a point. If I were a business, I'd buy your logic.

As most of these phones are for personal use, however, cash flow matters. It's $200 out of hand less than yesterday.

did you know when you buy your beemer for $47,000 as soon as you drive it off the lot it's worth $35,000 ?

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
I paid $200 for three weeks. I figured Apple would come out with new iPhones, AT SOME POINT, and lower prices, AT SOME POINT, just not two months after they released it, I figured at least 6 months.

Out...

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Not worth it.

I would have preferred to wait until now, and use that money for other things. I could survive with a normal phone for two months for $200. I was expecting a price drop, but if it had been 12 months down the road I would have said Yes, it was worth it.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Without us early adopters and supporters, the iphone would have never gotten all the buzz that it did. Especially with all the early bad reviews and such. I think they owe us something, but they will never admit it. Quite frankly they seem like a company that is poorly managed. I would not want to buy any Apple stock after this experience.

RickT67

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Maine
Hmmm... How many days do we have left before the iMacs drop... Maybe before the holidays?

I can see the early adopters frustration due to the drop.
If you think of what Apple accomplished (getting almost 1 million people to buy the iPhone) in a relatively short amount of time, it's really quite a decent piece of marketing and salesmanship.
Now the price drop, and the 2nd wave of people (probably myself) will be buying too.
One thing.. I wouldn't mind having an iPhone with a 160GB drive, or the option to be able to order it. That would be my all-in-one package :)
(Cue up the angels singing in the background):D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.