Was Jobs involved with Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by 50voltphantom, Feb 24, 2012.

1. 50voltphantom macrumors regular

50voltphantom

Is there any data/evidence to suggest Steve Jobs had any involvement with Mountain Lion? I wonder if there will ever be a disclosure as to what was the last product that had his input in the final shipping version?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

No telling, but we who follow such things so closely will tell you Jobs was likely...no, certainly working on OS 11.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm sure he was...These are long term projects and Steve worked pretty much until his death..He had a hand in there for sure.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm sure he was. and likely at least the next release as well. knowing how proactive he was about these things i could see him even having a general outline of how iOS and OS X should come together and when etc.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Let us not forget that Steve outlined the iPad before the 90's...

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Fixed that for you.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

-.-

Yes, quite. Just as Karl Benz realized the steam-powered go-rolly wagon and Edison put together the first flameless torch of sorcery.

8. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

You ever see that episode of Fringe where they read the brain of a dead guy to communicate with him? Yeah.

Too soon?

9. malman89 macrumors 68000

Nope.

OP - If he didn't have any involvement with ML, would you be less likely to buy it or more open to criticizing it? :p

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Yeah, Jobs told them the specifics for all future products before he died. :rolleyes:

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    You'll find Jobs' influence easily in the next 5 to 10 years or even more. The challenge for Apple is in the longer term when current projects are either sidelined, scrapped or fulfilled. We need to see how they come up with completely new products and markets to penetrate completely void of Jobs' presence.

12. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

This.

With OS11 likely to be a significant update, it's not too far-fetched to believe Jobs had a hand in envisioning what it would be. This would be a task typical of a CEO and certainly someone of Jobs pedigree.

He probably helped with the roadmap for 10.x updates, but didn't oversee the day-to-day development.

13. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Of course he was. ML wasn't just dreamed up over the last 4-5 months.

14. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Most likely since he has left plans for future apple products for the next 4 years, he probably was involved in the software side as-well

Preplanning 4 Years

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Products, like operating systems have a long life cycle before the light of day. This version of OSX has been on planning board for quite some time.

I think Steve had a lot of input of what ML was projected to be, perhaps some of the later details had no Steve input but the overall roadmap had his involvement I believe