Was macbook updated?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mbpjohnson, May 8, 2010.

1. mbpjohnson macrumors member

Was the white macbook updated in this last update with the macbook pros. If it was what was changed. I am tempted to pick up the one Micro Center has on sale for when I travel.

thanks
    Phil

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. mbpjohnson thread starter macrumors member

Thank you then for 799 its probably a pretty good deal to use like a netbook. I just need something for email and internet and to load pictures into and view when I travel. I assume it will handle pictures with no problem.

Phil

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

At that price, perfect for your needs.

5. BeamWalker macrumors 6502

BeamWalker

The Macbook became the unibody update along with the new imacs in late 2009. The Mid09 was the previous version.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Late 2009 it is.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What a waste of money! if that's all you will be using your computer for you could definitely find something much cheaper. Windows and Linux are both great operating systems, I'm sure you could find a very capable machine with a lot more storage than the Macbook for less than $500.

8. cjmabry macrumors newbie

cjmabry

Agreed. 800$ for a computer that you're going to use like a netbook is sort of high. If money's not a problem then I guess the Mac would be fine, but understand for 800$ you can get a VERY GOOD Windows computer. And for under $500 like TuffLuffJimmy said, you can get a computer that would be more than enough for what you need it to do.

9. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

While I feel there's absolutely nothing wrong with Windows, I think people forget one of the reasons why MacBooks are so great, the track pad. Navigating an operating system or the web on most windows laptops are a pain without using a separate mouse. On a MacBook I have a great deal of control with the already awesome track pad. Combined with quicksilver, I think I'm more efficient than I could ever be on a windows machine or something with a standard keyboard and mouse.

That also doesn't take into account the great battery life. or the better resale value when you decide to upgrade(look at how much outdated early gen macbooks sell for). When you start factoring your overall experience and not just specs into the price, you'll start to see that the "apple tax" isn't all for the name. The computer is far from a bargain, but by no means is it a bad deal like people are making it out to be it. You get what you pay for.

and I'm aware of the op's simple computing needs. Mine are similar except with the occasional movie/tv watching, and photoshop or illustrator use. I wouldn't want to do those things on a screen smaller than 13" or a cramped keyboard. Though YMMV.

But with that in mind, I still agree when people say Apple sells an image and their brand more than an actual product :p

10. miicah macrumors regular

Now that more manufacturers are using multi touch keypads some of the usability difference between macs and non macs is disappearing.

Although once apple makes 2 finger touch everyone copies so they make 3/4 touch and are ahead again.