Was my Aluminum Macbook Previously Opened ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Andrew K., Oct 26, 2008.

1. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I bought a new macbook at best buy and the one they gave me was kinda rough on the outside and has two stickers closing it shut and when I opened it the internals like the black package for the cds was scuffed as well as the inside of the box. I closely inspected my macbook and it was pretty clean all over? did they open it up or was this done from the warehouse or factory?

2. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

Two stickers closing it shut is not normal. It was probably opened.

3. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I thought it was weird but I am pretty happy with my macbook, no defects or anything and the stickers were exactly the same kind as apple uses :rolleyes: oh well

4. bektravels macrumors regular

Pretty sure my packaging had been cracked open before I got it, but I really didn't have a big care factor as it looked/smelt/started up as brand new and more importantly after a week, functions perfectly fine too :)

5. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

This is exactly why I order all my Apple products from the Apple online store. They come direct from the warehouse. :D

With the exception of a couple iPods, that I bought at the Apple store in person. And one at Target, but that was a gift from someone.

6. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

They always look at me funny at the apple store when I'm giving my box the inspection. Having worked in electronics retail I can tell you when a really hyped new item comes out somebody usually opens one to drool over it. And the retailers also have rolls of the clear round stickers to seal product so its "new."

Also inside the box the new Macbook has the clear wrapper around it with a sticker from apple sealing it all up. If that was gone then it was definitely handled.

7. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

My new MacBook's box seal looked like it had been cut open, but then another new, identical seal had been placed over it. Since the inside contents looked untouched to human hands, I just assumed that someone at the apple store/factory had opened it to ensure everything was actually inside before selling. It's a nice insurance against the "I opened my box and it was empty/full of rocks or books" scam.

8. qwikrex macrumors member

Bought mine from my local apple store. Only had one seal sticker.

9. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

You're right my seal was NOT Broken on the computer plastic wrap :) cool at least they didn't open the actual computer

10. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I've bought a couple machines from the Apple Store that have had two stickers. I figured the package was opened during a random quality check before shipment. I also seen two stickers when Apple was inserting a new version of iLife or OS X.

11. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

Your macbook pro has been opened, but it's normal Best Buy policy. I purchase a ton of my office computers from them, it is standard procedure for the geek squad to open and inspect expensive items. I belive it started when someone tried returning an external hard drive as the customer claimed he receaved it with a brick (an no drive) inside.

-David

12. Jelite macrumors 6502a

I had two stickers on my box, when i opened it i got this.:confused:

[​IMG]

13. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

You my friend could be rich if you would only resell that. ;)

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I bought a Core Duo iMac ages ago that was perfectly packed but it already had a user account on it. I was so excited about getting Windows on it that I ignored that fact...

15. ti2ibal1 macrumors member

I'll trade you my MB for that? :cool:

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I LOL'ed

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

How do you check to see if the battery has cycles on it?

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

System Profiler and iStat Pro are a good place to start.

19. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

If it had "Best Buy" tape on it then it was opened by Best Buy. If it had the same kind of seal over it then it was by Apple for one reason or another. Best Buy does not have clear tape let alone the same seals as Apple in their stores. There are various reasons a company may have to reopen a package before it leaves their factories or ware houses and reseal them.

If your computer is fine then be happy with it.

Kevin

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Thanks! Didn't know you could check your battery that way. :)

21. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

My used, so called "new" Macbook, had a seal on its plastic wrap, and it also had smudges and fingerprints on the screen and hard drive. Just because it's sealed doesn't mean it's brand new.