Was my computer pre-owned? or does it have a Ghost?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cathican, Nov 2, 2010.

1. cathican macrumors newbie

Strange problem here. I've been a long-time Mac owner (first one in '98!) so I think I know a few things about them.. but I am stumped!

In Sept, I purchased a new 27" iMac i7 from an authorized online dealer. I crossed my fingers when I unwrapped it and got a perfect machine. (no dents, yellowing, etc.)

When I was setting it up, it tried to connect to the server "gibberish". (changing the name of course). Very strange, as I had never connected to any other server, and didn't know any by this name. I put this incident aside until I recently opened up iTunes. I haven't moved my music library over to the new machine yet, so it had been a few weeks since the server issue. Once launched, I noticed it was logged into the Apple iTunes store as "gibberish@email.com". Strange! I could not log in without a password of course, but have no idea how that was logged in to begin with.

My first thought (well, only one really) is that perhaps the vendor I purchased the iMac from sold me a refurbished or returned machine instead of the brand new one I thought I purchased. I did call this place and while they do sell refurbs, they assured me mine was brand new. (hmmm....)

To make matters just a tad bit more weird... i recently received some email at my ".me" account (I never use my MobileMe account for email, just for syncing purposes), confirming an appointment with a CPA firm across the country (it's not like we're in the same city and cross paths). While the email address listed was mine, the greeting on the email was to "Mr & Mrs Gibberish" !!! (strangely, Mrs Gibberish and I spell our first name the same way, which is a unique way.)

I've spoken with the CPA firm, who mentioned to their client about the email mixup - turns out her real email is 1 letter different than mine. An easy mistake... but coupled with the other issues listed above, I'm suspect about something. I've emailed the Gibberish's, but have not yet heard back...

anyone have any thoughts?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sounds like your "authorized online dealer" sold you a used machine as new. I hope you didn't pay the new price for it. Was the box previously opened before you got it? Were all accessories there?

3. Heath macrumors regular

Are there any wireless networks in range of the machine?
    If so I'm guessing it's just trying to automatically connect to one of those.

4. cathican thread starter macrumors newbie

we're on opposite sides of the country, so it's not that.

I did hear back from the other folks. They never returned their computer, so that is good. However they did say this:

When I purchased my imac and the apple store did the sync with my new computer, your entire contact list came up. I think at the time it might have been merged with mine. I raised quite a stink and notified the "powers that be" that I was most concerned about this breach of confidentiality. It took hours to straighten it out, but eventually it was resolved. ​

Strangely, I did notice that I had a bunch of new contacts in my Address Book, but just thought it was an old list that got unsorted.

I guess next up is calling Apple...

Anyone heard of this happening before?

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Looks like the Gibberishes are up to their old tricks again

I was wondering about those Gibberishes