Was my mac hacked?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rackalamb, Aug 9, 2009.

1. rackalamb macrumors newbie

I recently clicked Console in utilities for the heck of it. When it stopped responding, I forced quit it and tried to move to my 1st space to use safari. Suddenly, my mac kept moving around from space to space and then back to space 1 until I shut the computer. Was I hacked and am I being followed by someone right now who is stealing my information? I have restarted twice...

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

3. rackalamb thread starter macrumors newbie

lol i'm flipping out because I was always convinced that i couldn't get hacked and I don't know if I am being dillusional but I think it kept going back to space 1 where my ichat and safari etc are.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hacking is not what Hollywood movies show. You wont see crap moving all around your screen or crazy animations pop up with things like "U have b33n haxx0rd" and crap. If someone really wanted something on your system they'd get it without you ever knowing.

Like the other poster said sounds like a glitch in spaces.

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Unless you're dealing with a script kiddy ;)

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, I remember on my Windows machine I left my VNC server running (yes, my fault) and I found someone surfing the web downloading some chat tools going about their own little world. It was very amusing watching my computer use itself. I was easily able to stop it from happening again though.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Script kiddies are associated exclusively with Visual BASIC Script and Visual BASIC for Applications. Under Windows, they have the run of your system. On MacOS X VBA and VBS are restricted to Microsoft Office. If you have Office 2008, then you don't have them at all so that they can't possibly affect Microsoft Office.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I consider a script kiddy to be wannabe "hackers" who use other people's code, and don't really understand what they're running when they "hack" someone, no matter the language the script was written in.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Script_kiddie)

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

That is exactly what I meant by a script kiddie. Not the language, but the fact that they don't do any thing on their own. All they do is use tools some one else made and think they are awesome (with out knowing what is actually happening) :eek:

10. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

That's what you get for using spaces. Personally, I think it's a HUGE resources toll.. unless, of course, you want to hide something when someone walks in. But that's what command + h is for... ;)

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Everything in the Wikipedia piece is correct. However, you cannot separate script kiddies from the language they use because they are immutably connected. They are also immutably connected to one family of operating system.

Script kiddies use a form of Visual BASIC and nothing else. They use it on Windows and no other OS. The Wikipedia piece does not dispute either of these facts.

12. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Anything can be hacked, computers, cell phones, ect