Was my purchase good one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lovewd, Dec 30, 2015.

1. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

Earlier in the year, I decided it was time to step into the world of owning a macbook. As a near broke college student, I decided to get and older used one. I found what I thought to be a good deal. Its an early 2011 13" Macbook Pro, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB of RAM, and a Samsung SSD PM810 2.5 256GB. I bought it the guy for $750, and he even threw in a MagicMouse and Keyboard. Was this worth all the money I spent?

2. tlmp macrumors newbie

At this point, that's for you to decide. Since you've used it for nearly a year, if it's met your expectations, then yes, it was. If not, then no. Personally, I dislike spending large sums of money and almost always feel a degree of buyer's remorse when buying something new. However, with Apple products, they've almost always met my expectations and I've (almost) always felt that the money was worth it.

3. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Lets see now, you bought the things months ago, and now just asking if it was a good purchase ?

Me, I would ask first, than purchase. But my schools years were ages ago, and they actually taught common sense

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

No it wasn't.
    Yes it was.

(delete the answer that doesn't make you feel better)

5. lovewd thread starter macrumors 6502

lovewd

Didn't think this was that dumb of a question, oops. But thanks for taking the time to comment guys! :)

6. David58117 macrumors 65816

Ok, I'll say it - no, that wasn't a good deal at all.

For a few hundred more - you could of had a new 13'' retina. That includes applecare, with the option to extend it for a few more years. You would of had a much faster SSD, and newer parts. They go on sale if you know where/when to look.

Hell, you could of even bought the non-retina 13" for $1000 (open box) - and had newer parts/applecare...

You also bought the ****** pre-haswell battery version macbook.

Once Haswell came out (2012 I think?) the battery life literally went from 4-5 hours to 8-9..which is where they essentially are now.

Guess which version you bought?

A really terrible buy, in my opinion.

Sorry..

7. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I always ask myself, do I think it was worth it?
    You'll come to find out that you will be a better judge of what is good for you than what someone else thinks.

So, if you feel good about it, then it was a good deal regardless about what anyone else thinks.
    You made a decision and went with it, those that can't make decisions and always want someone else to tell them what to do will never be happy with a purchase.

Now that you have a Mac, welcome.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well it wasn't dumb, but we're not in your shoes and while you may want a affirmation over your purchase, its a personal decision. If you're happy with what you got, then its a good deal :)

Enjoy your computer

9. lovewd thread starter macrumors 6502

lovewd

Thank you so much for the answer. This is the type I was looking for. I'm not a huge Mac expert, but I figured some of you might be, which is why I asked. And your answer informed. So thanks. Next time I buy a Mac, I will more thoroughly do research

10. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

You should try and actually do that in your daily life not just when you buy a Mac. If you're spending a significant amount of money whether its on a Mac or not you should "thoroughly do research" on it beforehand, not spend the money and then ask questions lol. But it's your money at the end of the day;)

11. lovewd thread starter macrumors 6502

lovewd

Thanks for the tip bud