Was my Refurb not a refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wombat94, May 23, 2016.

1. wombat94 macrumors member

Hi all,

I posted to the "I just ordered/bought/got my new/refurb MBP" thread yesterday, but I'm curious to see what people think.

I had been planning for a while to get a 2015 rMBP 13 and finally decided to pull the trigger this weekend. I was planning to order a refurb from the Apple website but I was checking on local availability and noticed on the Micro Center website that they had listed Refurbished MacBook Pros with full 1 year Apple warranty.

I know this is unusual, but figured MC might have had enough of a relationship with Apple to actually get some stock of refurbs to sell if Apple had a surplus.

I went to the local store and after discussing with the salesman he checked the computer to confirm that these were not used or off lease devices - that they came with the full one year warranty.

I decided to go with the 13 inch 2.9/512 - they were asking $1499 for it vs. $1699 ($100 discount from list) for new. This is $30 less than Apple has the refurbished version of this machine for on their website.

I took the deal and went to the front of the store where they would pull the stock for me.

When the machine came, it was in the standard Apple brown external shipping package - not the white refurb package. After leaving the store, I opened the outer package and found the new retail package inside.

I thought perhaps they had mistakenly pulled the wrong box from the stock room, but I know Micro Center's point of sale validates that they are delivering the correct product when it is satisfying the order the salesman put in.

I also checked their website immediately and found that they had reduced the available qty of the "refurbished" item for that store.

So I'm guessing I got the same computer for $200 off. The warranty checks out as a true 1 year warranty.

I think Micro Center is calling them refurbs so they can sell them at an extra discount and not get Apple ticked off.

Is there any way I can confirm that this is indeed a new machine and not a refurb?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps, or its what MicroCenter is selling as refurbs. That is, they received the stock from Apple, someone bought it from Microcenter and then returned it to Microcenter. They never sent it back to apple, but rather resold it as a refurb.

3. wombat94 thread starter macrumors member

Maybe, but I closely inspected both the outer box and the inner box and they were sealed the way they normally are direct from apple. If they were purchased they were returned unopened so could have been sold as new, i would think.

4. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

5. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Unless micro center sells all returns as refurbished by default perhaps?

6. robvas macrumors 68020

I have bought 'open box' MacBooks from Microcenter before

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And to apple, its not a refurb, which is my point :)

8. chabig macrumors 68040

Refurbs can be distinguished by their serial numbers, I think. I'm not sure how.

9. wombat94 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure why I am so interested in what Micro Center is doing... probably because I've never seen them do something like this before.

I checked their website and nearly all of the brick and mortar stores have at least some combination of these three laptop models listed in stock... over 60 units of the 2.9/512, about 40 units of the 2.7/256 and over 50 units of the 2.7/128

I can't see them all being unopened returns. These are definitely not listed as open box or clearance items.

Very strange indeed.

Anyway, I am not concerned as I have my full warranty and as I said, the device appeared to be brand new.

10. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Usually MicroCenter calls them open box. I bought a 2012 Mac Mini and a list generation iPad Mini open box from MicroCenter. They came in the original packaging.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see.

I've not been to MicroCenter in a long time, so I forget the details.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I too doubt that is the case. I know we have had comments on here from Apple Store employees that if a Mac is brought back unopened they resell it as new (since it is). Legally in the US at least, there is no problem with that. I don't see why MC would take the hit and see a new, unopened return as a refurb.

13. JackieInCo macrumors 601

The 2012 Mac Mini i7 I bought was sold as an open box. I think I paid just over $500 for it. It was obviously a return because they never restored the computer as it still contained the previous buyers info including iTunes login.