Was saving for an iPad 2, but after discovering Refurb iPad 1...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SeanAppleDude, Apr 23, 2011.

1. SeanAppleDude macrumors member

SeanAppleDude

I just saw that the original iPad is only $349 at Apple’s website! I was saving up for the iPad 2, but now I’m seriously considering buying the 1st gen. Do you guys think i’m missing anything in the iPad 2 if I skip this generation and then buy the iPad 3? I was sort of disappointed when there was no retina display on the 2. If its in iPad 3 i’ll definitely want to get it.

Should I go with the iPad 1st generation for now?

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

Depends if the camera option means anything to you and if you're going to really need/use the new processor. If you're just going to use the iPad for web browsing and basic tasks then I think buying a first gen is a good choice.

3. SeanAppleDude thread starter macrumors member

SeanAppleDude

That’s pretty much what I was thinking. Other than for fun, I probably wouldn’t use that camera too much. What I’m mostly concerned about is if the iPad 3 will have a retina display. If its not, then I would rather get an iPad 2 now and then skip that generation.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree with the above poster. I nearly upgraded and even after playing with one a few times, I'm still happy with my iPad 1.

5. iLucas macrumors 6502

With the iPad 2 you will have fun playing with the photobooth app for about a day and most likely not use the camera after that. The camera on the back doesnt take very good quality pictures, imo. No one really knows if the iPad 3 will have retina display yet. The iPad 3 will obviously be an improvement over the second so if you can live with a first gen save your money for the iPad 3.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'd say to go ahead and get the iPad 1 now and wait and get the next iPad 3, which will be a REAL update IMO. Right now I feel that the ipad 2 was an upgrade but more aimed at people who don't already have one. The specs are increased, yes, but now it's only on par with the new (and even underspec'd compared to others) tablets coming out.

If you get to the nitty gritty, the iPad is technically the most inferior tablet on the market compared to the Android 3.0 tablets out and coming out; granted they cost a little more, but IMO they're worth it. The ipad has apple behind it and that's why it's selling.

If you want a great tablet for the price, get the iPad 1. However if you're looking for the "best" tablet out there, read up on the Android 3.0 tablets; the developer base is smaller and there aren't that many "new" tablet apps out for them, however I think the experience will be better; at least for me it would be.

7. SeanAppleDude thread starter macrumors member

SeanAppleDude

Thanks for the help guys.

I’ve decided to just get the iPad 1 for now. I’m going to order it this week and I’m really hoping the iPad 3 update is significant :)

8. I WANT AN IPAD2 macrumors newbie

I heard Steve Jobs isn't thinking of an ipad 3 until 2012

9. Detrias macrumors member

As it is the ipad 2 is a decent upgrade from the first one, however once iOS 5 comes out the gap more than likely will be big........so imo if u already own an ipad 1 i would stick with it, if u dont then i strongly advice to go with the ipad 2 unless you are short on cash or if you dont care on missing out on some of the new features coming our way soon

10. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

Where did you "hear" about this?

11. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

Lets face it, there will always he a better product around the corner. You could wait forever. I bought an iPad 2 last week and are pretty happy with it all.

12. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

The interwebs. Duh.

13. Young Spade macrumors 68020

It all comes down to what will work for you. I have an upgraded blackbook right now and although i would be able to upgrade later on when newer things come out, ultimately I will never "need" to upgrade. Right now the only upgrades would be a backlit keyboard, the glass, multitouch trackpad (although I like using keyboard commands more since my hands are already there), and a better battery life; however I'm never that far away from an outlet and I can always buy backup batteries.

Power wise, sure I can't play high end games but I don't really have the desire to either. 1080p playback is as smooth as silk with every action under that even faster.