Was The 3G Revolutionary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goona, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Since some are saying the 3GS is a small upgrade and "evolutionary". I want to ask if the 3g was revolutionary, it sure didn't seem like a big upgrade to me. In fact it seems like a smaller upgrade than 3gs. The only big thing about it was the App Store. I guess that would make a case for it being revolutionary.

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

It wasn't revolutionary at all. I'd define revolutionary as something new and groundbreaking but all the 3G added was a GPS and 3G. The 2.0 software with the App Store...now that I'd classify as revolutionary.

It bothers me when people complain that the iPhone 3GS bought no major enhancements. It is a worthwhile upgrade and certainly a bigger upgrade than the iPhone 3G was.

The iPhone 3G bought us: Faster data, a GPS.
    The iPhone 3GS brings us: Faster data, a faster processor, double the memory, a compass, voice control, and a superior camera with video recording.

3. ecupip macrumors newbie

I agree I didn't see anything so great about the 3G. I stuck with my 1gen iphone until now. The 3G speeds are nice but wasn't that big of a deal to switch from the 1st gen.

The GS also adds the new graphics chip, the new coating, larger battery, double the storage capacity :)

It is a HUGE difference from the 3G

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The biggest thing the 3G brought was (obviously) 3G!
    That is actually more than just faster data because it means you can use the Internet without calls going to voicemail.
    I'd say it was evolutionary in terms of specs but revolutionary in terms of usability.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I opted not to upgrade from my first gen after I saw the lack of "awesome" in the 3G. My 3GS will arrive Wednesday according to my FedEx tracking number. :D

6. y0m0uth macrumors regular

the 3gs would've been "awesome" in everyone's eyes if it had came with a tad different of a look... thats the main difference between 3g and orig iphone...

7. aluren macrumors 65816

i'd agree that the app store was revolutionary. many people, me included, overlooks this as just a simple software update. but i'm sure those developers that have made 6-7 figure incomes from selling apps would think otherwise.

8. Que macrumors 6502

most iphone upgrades will be evolutionary.

anyone expecting a brand new phone with amazing new designs and features will be sorely disappointed annually.

if it ain't broken......

9. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

The phone wasn't groundbreaking. Period. The marketing and software, however, was. Apple & Pals hyped it to the point of hysteria. A phone. Hysteria. How often does that happen? And to work around problems seen in better phones, Apple simply didn't allow some things to happen. No background processing is an excellent way to prevent background apps from slowing the phone. That was certainly groundbreaking. Microsoft did the same thing....15 or 20 years ago on computers....but not with phones. WinMo is definately the most open and capable platform available. The 3G was actually groundbreaking in how restrictive and closed it is.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Is that why nearly every post-iPhone smartphone on the market mimics the iPhone in some way/shape/form, inside and/or out?

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If your primary concern is about how you look in other's eyes with the latest/greatest, then yes. Beauty is skin deep - it takes a better processor to shine :D

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

IMO, the original iPhone would be the revolutionary product....not the subsequent phones that followed

13. Goona thread starter macrumors 68020

Goona

I wonder, heck even after Apple introduced the App store we are no seeing a plethora of them.

14. Surklyn macrumors regular

You talking about the 3G or the iPhone in general?? No background apps prevents battery drain.. iPhone users (as well as every WINMO user, PALM PRE user and BLACKBERRY USER) complain about battery life... that argument is moot. So what is so "GROUNDBREAKING" about WINMO?

YES .. Apple has a OUTSTANDING.. and often underestimated Marketing team.. SO?? The damn thing sells like hot cakes for a reason.

Restrictive? Your telling me developers are less restricted with WINMO than with iPhone OS? Does WinMO even have an APP STORE yet? Do they even have an SDK, is that EVEN possible with the amount of different hardware they're on?

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Please do not feed the trolls - it just makes them grow bigger and stronger! ;)

16. Goona thread starter macrumors 68020

Goona

The thing I like about Apple is they take their time to get it right. Look at the copy and paste people were screaming about, the implementation they have is the most elegant I've seen on a phone. 3rd party multitasking will probably be here next season, they'll probably use an something like expose to implement, would be cool.