Was the 3g worth the wait....?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gix1k, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Is it living up to the hype? Is it that much better than the first one? I ask cause I went to get it and all ATT stores were sold out....Apple store had a line around the corner for the entire day, Friday...eventually sold out for new activations...They have some for ATT upgrade customers.

Interesting note: I am on Sprint "Everything 2000 family" for $129.99.....I asked the ATT guy what plan they have that would be similar and he said they have one for $169.99....closest thing....ATTs plans are CRAP!!!!

2. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I was getting 1.3Mbps download when I tested it on Saturday, so definitely well worth it - in the UK at least, where we seem to have far better coverage than in the US.

3. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I didnt have the 1st gen as I was waiting for this one, so yes, it is worth the wait for me. :D

4. markgamber macrumors 6502

No far no, it's about 1/3 the speed I was getting with Sprint. But they're obviously working on it in my area since I've seen glimmers of speed better than Sprint. So it will be.

FWIW, I'm now paying twice as much for data as I did with Sprint and yeah, that I can afford AT&T doesn't mean I don't think it's pricey. But I don't see anyone being forced to switch. If you don't like it stick with Sprint. Don't forget, if you switch in mid contract, you will pay an ETF to Sprint on top of the AT&T costs and the iPhone itself.

5. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

i had to have the new one, even though im not too fussed on the new features just had to have the new one, sad that isnt it?

its going good for me, havent had a bill through yet though mind..

6. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I went to that testiphone speed site on my Instinct and it said 1.7.....

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It's evolutionary, not revolutionary. That said, 3G and GPS are very nice upgrades. Shortened battery life is a drag.

8. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

MY battery life has been very good. Turn off 3G when you arent using the web, and turn off location services when you dont need it.

9. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Worth the wait (4 hours in line)? Not really. Worth getting? YES

I really like what they have done with the look and feel of the phone. GPS works well and 3G speeds are pretty good and a definitely improvement over EDGE.

10. millerboy814 macrumors member

well considering i dont have 3g and i dont take enough trips to acually use the GPS.. no, reason i bought it? i sold my old one for $450 so i got to keep $200