Was the iPhone your first smartphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Night Spring, Apr 4, 2009.

?

Was the iPhone your first smartphone?

1. Yes, I never owned a smartphone until the iPhone.

167 vote(s)
    59.2%
  2. No, I had used other smartphones before.

115 vote(s)
    40.8%
  1. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just curious, because personally, I was never interested in smartphones until the iPhone. I guess I'm wondering how many people bought the iPhone because it was a better smartphone, and how many bought it because it was an ipod with a phone.

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

It is indeed my first smartphone. I was looking at upgrading to a crackberry on Verizon then figured if I'm gonna spend that much a month on my phone plan, I may as well go with the iPhone.

That is pretty much the main reason I got one. From 2 devices to one. Plus, since just about everything has some sort of iPod connectivity these days, it's really convenient to have an iPod with you at all times.

3. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Yes the iPhone is my first smartphone. I owned a 5th gen iPod and just a regular cell phone before and when the first iPhone came out it was just too expensive so I waited it out. the 3G came along and when I was eligible for upgrade I got the 16GB. Best phone evarrrr.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Smartphones before the iPhone all sucked. It was really the turning point.

5. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Nope, had a 3G-enabled Nokia N71. Advantages then to living abroad.

6. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

I had a few Sony Ericsson P series smart phones. They were pretty good at first but never really improved enough. Nowhere near the power or usability of the iPhone though.

Think the AppStore is the thing that makes the iPhone so special.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

8. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

9. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I used them off and on from my employer, but I always had a flip-phone as my primary phone. I wasn't satisfied enough with the compromises most manufacturers made to buy one of my own.

10. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I had a BB 8800. Very dependable, NEVER crashed. But NO fun.

Also, I remember that it was able to have music, but it was complicated. And there was NO camera...

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Had something Motorola first, then Samsung, LG, Motorola Rzr, Motorola Kzr, and finally the iPhone....

12. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I had a Nokia N73 before the iPhone. I don't know that I'd call it smart exactly. It could browse the internet but, so SLOW!! What a relief the iPhone is!

13. mrochester macrumors 65816

That'd be because the N73 doesn't have HSDPA, so tops out at 384kbps, which is certainly not going to give you a decent internet experience. The HSDPA Nokia's are far faster luckily :)

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I wanted an iPod that was a phone. That was about it. I was impressed with all of the extras (Internet, e-mail, etc.) that were talked about before the first release, but I had no idea how awesome they were in practical use. With the addition of apps, yowsers.

I had heard of and seen BlackBerries, but I never wanted one. Someone I knew got one, and I couldn't figure out how to do a darn thing on it when he brought it to trivia. It took looking up crap in a book, and I don't recall if we ever figured out how to do anything.

If this MLB At Bat app works anything like the CBS March Madness app, it may be even more amazing. I can't get a radio signal at work, so this will allow me to listen to the Braves -- and actually use some of that data I pay $20/month for.

15. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

yes its my first smart phone. other smart phones just didn't appeal to me before the iPhone

16. fishmoose macrumors 68000

That was my main reason for buying one really, my first smartphone and i dont think i will ever buy an smartphone that isn't made by Apple from what i've seen from other smartphones, well they seem to suck.

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I used a Blackberry Pearl for about six months before getting the iPhone. Back then I knew I'd never be able to use a non-smartphone again as I hate having to jump on the computer after work and check email. TBH I really wouldn't have any qualms going back to Blackberry if I had to.

18. matttye macrumors 601

It was my first smartphone. I bought it because I'm a bit of a technology geek and loved the iPhone touchscreen.. but then I felt cheated because of some of the missing features like MMS. Every phone released in the last 10 years in this country has had picture messaging, big fail apple :(

19. Viano macrumors newbie

Viano

I used sony ericsson w960 for about eight monts, it's a great phone but sometimes very slow at performance..iPhone is much much better and faster. :D

20. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Yes. I got by with my needs with the Razr.

The iPhone changed the way I thought about smart phones.

21. matttye macrumors 601

I had a w850i before the iPhone.. they are really good phones, although a little sluggish at times.

22. nerdish macrumors regular

All my previous phones were Nokia's, i loved the 88**/86** series, had the lot of them, i did try some Samsungs, Sonys and Motorollas but nothing compared to the looks of the Nokia's, until the iPhone - and now i couldnt live without having email and internet on my phone!

23. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Don't worry guys. I got this.

WHY DINT YOU RESEARCH BEFOR BYING THE PHONE!!!!? IF YOU HATE IT SO BAD GET ANOTHER PHONE GEEEEZ!!! :rolleyes:

Ahem. Anyway. I'd have to say that even though I used a BB the iPhone is my first smartphone. Most of the features on the BB were of no use to me. There's a couple I don't use on the iPhone but nothing close to the Pearl.

24. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Yes this was my first smart phone

slightly disappointed by the missing features especially seeing as researching on the internet says there are workarounds, then finding out after buying that these do not work for all iPhone users

25. matttye macrumors 601

Haha that's uncanny :D

MMS is practically a standard, lots of people wouldn't bother checking if it's included.