Was the iTunes store slow for anybody else last weekend?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dborja, Sep 22, 2008.

1. dborja macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to diagnose a problem that I had last weekend. I'm on cable Internet (not Comcast) and I was seeing 12Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up on speed tests. I initiated download of 4 free TV shows and the download speed was an abysmal 500Kbps. The rest of my apps were still seeing the 12Mbps but not my iTunes downloads. Late Saturday night, though, they started coming in at 10Mbps; then yesterday it was back down to 500Kbps.

I'm trying to figure out if the iTunes servers were just bogged down, were a lot of folks downloading the same shows, was my connection being throttled for the iTunes stream or something else. Before anybody says that traffic was probably heavy on my cable connection, I was able to test at 10Mbps while the iTunes downloads were crawling in. One thing I noticed was that a ping of phobos.apple.com and the alternate site was showing a slow 245ms and sometimes would even time out. Which is why I'm suspecting a problem on the iTunes side...

Sorry for the long text just to ask if anyone experienced slow downloads on iTunes this weekend...:)

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

It was for me, I couldnt even hear 30 seconds previews without re-buffering.

3. dborja thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, previews also kept re-buffering for me.

Thanks for sharing your experience

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes it was slow. Yesterday I purchased five different TV show seasons from NBC and it took the full day to download all episodes on a cable connection.

5. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Sunday was the worst for me- It happened the weekend before too. I remember someone speculating it was genius doing it's thing in the cloud, others just thinking the masses are hitting the iTMS at once. I personally think the folks at infinite loop think it's a down day. Who knows-