Was the prev MBP lid warp issue resolved ever?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by youthsport, Dec 5, 2008.

1. youthsport macrumors newbie

I recieved my 2.4 prev mbp from macconnection just the other day and being my first mac it seems to work and run very well. I did notice the i guess 'common' issue with the lid not being even when closed. it has a gap maybe 2-3mm on the left side. From reading all the older posts, im wondering if this issue was ever resolved by apple or is it just something we need to live with? If its something normal are there any diy resolutions to it?

Thanks

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

If I kneel down and look at my MBP head on, I can see a very slight gap on the right side. I cured it by not kneeling down any more.

3. youthsport thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input but are you saying that its something normal? i am just worried it'll lead to a warped display which would be much more than a cosmetic issue.

4. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Yes, you kind of have to live with it. It's a well-known, common issue.

I've read of a few DIY fixes, you can find them by googling. They mostly involve using books and things like that to even it out.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Yeah, it's pretty much a normal non-issue. Don't worry about or look at it again.

6. youthsport thread starter macrumors newbie

so no worries that it'll affect the actual display itself? this is my first laptop and first mac so im just being extra careful after shelling out $1300 :eek:

7. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

No, it'll be fine. It's a common issue and is only cosmetic. It doesn't affect the display at all.

8. DitDah macrumors newbie

So, what everyone is saying in effect is...don't complain or worry about something that is now commonly accepted as best practice by a large company that exclusively supplies their own hardware to their own software. You have no recourse, except to return it...or never buy this brand again.

Fundamentally, I think there is a serious problem here. Take 2 steps back...I own 2 MBP's...just recently got the new unibody 5,1...2.8Mhz, 4Gig ram and 128 SSD, 15". I also have a newish (aluminum body iMac) and a very nice airport extreme (N)...oh, and my first gen iPhone which I love. So, I am not an apple basher. I am, however, a patriot.

I'm seeing a trend in these boards (many others as well) which is bothering me. The "roll over and take it" attitude. If something is wrong...complain! They can't fix, and won't pay attention to you unless you let them know. So, complain loudly about your crooked keyboard keys, your yellow display, your bent display lids, your non-working wifi...etc etc. Complain and enjoy that you have the freedom to do so. Shame on the company that would scoff you away for showing them their short comings...and failure to improve to meet customer satisfaction. And shame on anyone in these boards rolling over to just take substandard as being "normal, status quo".

9. youthsport thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot quite tell as to whether or not this was in a serious tone or more of a light joking manner. I am not going to go complain to apple if this is now accepted as a norm and there is no solution to the problem. If i get another mbp and it does the same thing and if they all do i mine as well not waste my time. I'm not out to change things or make a difference in the laptop world, i just wanted to know if the issue i had was something fixable and worth taking in for.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

And just because you let them know doesn't magically mean that your concern will be addressed.

People have been letting Apple know that the lids of their aluminum laptops haven't close "flush" since Apple introduced them 5+ years ago.

Here's a thread from 2003 discussing the exactly same issue. You'll notice that even back then, people were returning the machines for refunds as Apple was unable to correct the issue.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=39225