Was the release of two iPhone models with two different screen sizes a market test?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nyy8, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I was just thinking.. why would Apple release two different screen size iPhones. They have never done this before.

Then I started to think, would it be possible Apple is testing the larger screen size market? By making two phones, they get an idea what there audience wants and how to accommodate it next year. They also have almost no room to fail. If people don't buy the 6+ as fast as the 6, they found their sweet spot.

Judging by the overwhelming response of the 6+, I think Apple didn't expect such a demand for such a large jump in size and are going to plan much more accordingly next year. While maybe possibly bumping the 4.7" iPhone 6 to a 5" next year?

Just my shower thoughts about this.

2. kepler20b macrumors 6502

market share.

Note series was basically a market on its own until this year with the 1+1/g3/n6/etc.

Face it, there are millions of people who were on android and they refuse to buy a phone that is smaller than 5.5" regardless of OS. Now that apple has a 5.5" phone, you are selling products to people who never even considered iphone before.

3. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

lol, are you for real? By that logic, everything is a "market test". The fact is the writing's on the wall: people want bigger phones. There's the 4.7"-5.0" market right now for flagship phones, and the 5.5"-6.0" category for phablets. It was clear that there is demand in both product categories. And of course Apple will use sales data from this product cycle when launching future products, just like any other device, or like any other company.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

5" instead of 4.7" next year? No thanks. There are still a small number of us who don't want any bigger than 4". Why can't 4.7" and 5.5" satisfy the large screen people? What do you want next, iPad Mini Phone?

5. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

You must be a tiny gurl.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If you call 5'6" tiny, that's your opinion (frankly it's sexist). But I challenge you to try women's pants sometime. Shallow f***in pockets. I also enjoy my iPhone 5. It's a perfect fit for me. If I want a bigger screen, I have the iPad Mini.

I never said Apple shouldn't sell large screen phones to those who want them. I simply feel that it's ridiculous to have two already bug phones and make the smaller of the two even bigger. It's a technological phase, and I wish the trend would cycle back to small-medium again. Then the iPad Mini 3 update wouldn't feel like such an insult.