Was there ever a time when public libraries were actually quiet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Sep 22, 2007.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

Because I can't remember one. These days, they don't seem like places for people to study or do research -- they're extensions of people's living rooms/nurseries/social clubs, etc. I can't imagine anyone getting any serious thinking done in there, unless they're equipped with shooting-range earmuffs and a full stock of anti-anxiety medications.

The university libraries are still reasonably quiet, at least on the upper floors and in the study rooms. So I exempt them from my rant.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The one I went to in Troy, MI before I moved here (as late as 2004) was reasonably quiet. The one in Ann Arbor was too, as of when I moved away from Ann Arbor (2001). The public library here (Gainesville) is fairly chaotic, but the one in Jacksonville was inconsistent... sometimes quite quiet, especially off the first floor, and other times a bit loud.

3. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Hmm. The one in my small town is really pretty quiet. The only problem it's ever had is cell phones, and by banishing them to the entryway, that problem pretty much took care of itself.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My local village (Lees) and town (Oldham) libraries are quiet, only been colleges and universities that go against that. school's library was terrible back in the days of the Insanity Test and Hamsterdance.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes, yes there was... and that was more or less about the same time when movie audiences would also be quiet. ;)

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Was there ever a time when public libraries were actually quiet?

Yes, before They started having Mother & toddler groups meet in there :mad:

now it's the odd schoolkids larking about, mobile phones, scraping chairs,
    closing doors............were Libraries ever quiet :confused:

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I haven't been to the library since I was in my teens...

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The big main Phoenix library is quiet, but you just need to get off the first floor. I think that's pretty much the case with any library. The library at ASU is completely dead if you go anywhere off the main floor.

9. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I had to open this thread and laugh. Our university library is the worst. Even in the designated quiet section theres always someone whispering or listening to an ipod really loudly

10. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

I live in Iowa City, and it seems that about 50% of the population is in the public library at any one time.

Unfortunately, about 10% of Iowa City's population is either wannabe goths, homeless people, insane people, or hysterically screaming children.

I plan my trips to the library like a military surgical strike. If I can't go there and complete my business in less than 60 seconds, I won't go.

Although I don't have a ready explanation as to why RECENTLY libraries have become this way, I believe it is strongly associated with the personality of the town, as well as the library's location. My original hometown, Cedar Rapids, had a library that was so quiet you could hear the mice farting.

It was a dream. I miss it so.

11. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

During exam times, our public library is chaotic. Everyone from my school goes there, and it becomes the newest hot spot. I don't know if anyone got any work done, even in the so called study area and "quiet rooms". All anyone did was socialize (talking with their friends, on cell phones, facebooking on the computers etc). The study areas were packed full and I can literally walk through the library and name every student. During the quieter times though, the upper floor isn't that bad. No one really goes to the library unless they really have to, and even then they spend as little time as they can in there. Not many people I know actually likes the library or reading for the most part :p;).

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My local library is loud, and I love it! Ok, the noise is a pain, but everyone is quiet, it's just that when you put a zillion people into a confined space, no matter how quiet everyone whispers, it all adds up and it gets noisier. Not that I would ever complain though, it just shows how popular it is to read around here. :cool:

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Some times serious stuff means talking things out...debating is pretty serious! And that can get loud.

But I see your point...last time I was at one, it was quite

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I couldn't resist. Quoted in sig. :D

15. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

The one in the town nearest me is very quiet :) and cell phone noise is not a problem :) because, uh.. the town's in a dead zone :( :( :( :(

16. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I have never been to a public library that was loud (except when a toddler group comes through).

17. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I go to the one here at UNLV pretty often, and they have designated quiet floors and rooms where a ringing cellphone will supposedly get you asked to leave.

I usually just stay on the noisy floors now, because I don't always have a tendency to be quiet...