Was there just a silent update (small)??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Sep 20, 2010.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I have the most recent version of the iphone OS and just did my daily (aka...OCD issues with me) reboot of my phone. I cleaned out my task bar and then held down the on/off and home button to do a reboot.

Well, as the while apple logo appeared, it also had an update progress bar below it. It lasted for a few seconds, then filled up and my phone proceeded to boot up normally.

Then I got promoted with a blue apple pop-up box that told me how to arrange my icons, as if it was my first time ever turning on the phone.

I tapped "OK" and proceeded. All icons were in their spot, but my settings were sorta messed up.

The ringer and text ringtone went back to default; auto brightness was turned on; brightness was set back to default vaule of 50%.

Anyone else? what was this update for?

update: ok, a lot more settings have been pushed back to factory. sms settings, battery % indicator, restrictions

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That was an error, or some kind of updateless update mode.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

"updateless update mode" :eek:

Not sure I want one of those... :confused:

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I had this happen on one of my 3GS phones this morning. I thought it was because I had restored the iPhone to an earlier iOS version and this was the first time rebooting after.

Nothing was reset or changed.

5. diamondschwin macrumors member

This happened to me too!

progress bar on reboot, how to edit your icons and my ringtones were messed up, I didnt notice the brightness since I left it at the default setting anyway.

it happened about two days ago, not sure why or what it was all about

6. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

It's just what they call Technology Neurotic.

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

8. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

LOL, congrats on being the first! :D

9. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

It sounds like a settings reset, that's what that progress bar is for. There is no such thing as a silent update on iPhone's. When there is a firmware update it will tell you in iTunes.

10. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

That's what 'they' want you to think. :eek:

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

They also put the front camera in so they can see if you’re jailbreaking.

:cool:

12. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Holding down Power and Home is NOT a safe way to reboot the phone. You are basically forcing a reset, so open yourself up to all sorts of problems due to files being corrupted etc.
    If you are OCD about his stuff, you should hold the power button until you get the slide to power off, wait the few seconds for the phone to power down, then power it back on... Just try turning your desktop or laptop off every day by holding down the power until it resets and see how many problems you get...

13. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Yeah, forced reset is neurotic.

14. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

How odd that you do a forced reset every day. Um, why?

15. Torresangel88 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

it was a reset that happens when you reset all settings but idk maybe an error

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

That's the reason right there, you forced restarted your iPhone, it's the equivalent to pressing and holding the power button on a computer until it turns off. This is done for freezing or w/ problems not as an everyday thing since it could mess things up. Next time turn it off properly and then on again. Or if jb, from sbsettings select reboot !