Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
so I was thinking about getting a new hard drive fro my MBP - 80gb isn't really "cutting it" anymore -

so from the suggestions of macrumor's members I found:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145113

now my real question (aside from if you know of a cheaper/better hard drive) is...

is it really that hard/pain to replace the hard drive on my MBP?

all opinions and suggestions welcome :)

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
The aluminum will warp slightly, because the MBP is not meant to be opened. You've been warned!

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
Demon Hunter said:
The aluminum will warp slightly, because the MBP is not meant to be opened. You've been warned!

So what does Apple do when they have to repair this computer? Sheesh, what a dumb post.

The MBP is much harder than, say, the MB but somewhat easier than a PB to replace the hard drive. Good luck!

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Demon Hunter said:

OK, I am not arguing with you, because I have no clue whether you are right or not, but if this is the case, then how does anyone ever get any satisfactory repair work done on their machines?:confused:

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
Demon Hunter said:

I have never heard such a thing do you have a link to back your statement up?

miles01110 said:
With the right tools, you will be fine. The ifixit guide is pretty good.

I agree.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
alexstein said:
I have never heard such a thing do you have a link to back your statement up?

I agree.

If you look hard enough, you'll find threads about the warping. It happened to my PowerBook. If you don't believe me, look at the schematics for yourself, it's obvious some warping will occur.

w8ing4intelmacs said:
So what does Apple do when they have to repair this computer? Sheesh, what a dumb post.

Yes, how dumb of me to inform someone of what will happen if they break open their laptop. Nitwit.

Some people don't care about a 1-2mm gap, Apple sure doesn't. Just thought you might like to know.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
General rule of thumb, if you can't put something back together exactly the way it was before you took it apart, then you shouldn't be trying to do the repair, upgrade, or mod.

Either take the time to do it correctly, seek professional (or experienced help), or don't do it at all. It's not Apple's fault that you tried to take apart their machine and warped it's case.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
w8ing4intelmacs said:
They will leave warping too. Did on my MBP.

Edit: Good choice on the drive

daze

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
San Jose, California
w8ing4intelmacs said:

The MBP is much harder than, say, the MB but somewhat easier than a PB to replace the hard drive. Good luck!
It was not a dumb post. He warned you about warping, and I can attest to that. After you open it, the case will be slightly warped. I opened my PB 12" in the past, and this is correct. I am no joe schmoe either, and am used to building/repairing computers for over 10 years.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
I was just wondering if it would be possible to fix the warping. One would only have to bend the warping areas back in the right position. No?

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
it's weird - if the case warps - and you send it to apple care to be fixed (which i have had to do - they replaced the logicboard and airport) - it'll still warp? though...i can't see any signs on it - but if it did - i don't want anyone telling me where to look 'cuz than i'll see it and get annoyed hehe

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I installed the same drive and have had no problems with it.

As for warping - Its an illusion. There are some clips on the front edge that can get bent easily and won't engage when you reinstall the top of the MBP. So one side might have a gap while the other will not. The clips get bent when you try to wiggle the top off (or manhandle it, like I did) after removing all the appropriate screws.

Its a pretty low risk upgrade, but takes a little more time than it should because of all the dismantling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.