Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Was waiting for new iMacs but now should I just buy a refurbished? Is the only thing that they are thinner (no difference what so ever to me-its a desktop mine is fine at mo), and faster?

I currently have a 2007 alu iMac, 2GHz, 4Gb RAM. I use it for general computing, surfing, iTunes, iPhoto, little bit of iMovie.

I was hoping for a little more and I'm more inclined if I do buy another iMac, I may as well buy last gen?

lawhochun

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Hong Kong
Was waiting for new iMacs but now should I just buy a refurbished? Is the only thing that they are thinner (no difference what so ever to me-its a desktop mine is fine at mo), and faster?

I currently have a 2007 alu iMac, 2GHz, 4Gb RAM. I use it for general computing, surfing, iTunes, iPhoto, little bit of iMovie.

I was hoping for a little more and I'm more inclined if I do buy another iMac, I may as well buy last gen?

I think the major difference between the old and new imac is the optical laminated screen, I have not seen it in person and I am sure that makes a hell of a difference in terms to screen quality and clarity - even tho effectively both screens have the same resolution. In my own experience, even tho iPad 1 and iPad 2 had the same LCD panel, but just because the iPad 2 LCD panel is closer to the cover glass, it looked way better (not to mention there is not even a gap between the glass and LCD for the new imac).

So back to the question, in terms of spec bump, it may not be what people was hoping for. but it depends if you want a much improved screen - with much better clarify and less reflection.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I think the major difference between the old and new imac is the optical laminated screen, I have not seen it in person and I am sure that makes a hell of a difference in terms to screen quality and clarity - even tho effectively both screens have the same resolution. In my own experience, even tho iPad 1 and iPad 2 had the same LCD panel, but just because the iPad 2 LCD panel is closer to the cover glass, it looked way better (not to mention there is not even a gap between the glass and LCD for the new imac).

So back to the question, in terms of spec bump, it may not be what people was hoping for. but it depends if you want a much improved screen - with much better clarify and less reflection.
It was reported by the verge who saw it hands on it pops and looks "Retina like" even though its not called that. They calibrate each one specifically too which is nice.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Is the only thing that they are thinner (no difference what so ever to me-its a desktop mine is fine at mo), and faster?

No- you also don't get a Blu-ray SuperDrive anymore.

In fact you can't even buy one until Nov/Dec, and then it may not arrive at your house for another month after that.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I was waiting too but seeing how it is gonna cost mega dollars to get something decent. I now have to decide whether it is worth paying the extra $1500 just to have mac over PC because the Mac Pro is even more expensive, mac mini is not powerful enough and laptop range is same price lower performance. I love the aspect of the screen being on the glass and no gap that is a big sell point for me.

So right now I am hoping they update their external screen to be laminated to the glass then I might just buy that screen and stick it on a PC. Damn i thought i was gonna be with Apple forever.

As soon as I see the pricing for the 27" BTO I will decide what I am gonna do lol. Sucks because I was waiting for this update since April and becoming more needy of it each passing month.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Think of all the money u could save on a 2011 model right now!! Plus be using it by next week. That's a ton of money difference I'm sure . And I bet by next week the refurb site will be flooded with returns for the exact model you would want. Yes the screen is fancy but the 2011 screen isnt anything to be ashamed to own.

Think of all the fun and projects you could get done by the time your new iMac 2012 would arrive. Could be another riot in a apple factory tonight

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010

Do a Hackintosh and use the rest of your money on the new Sharp 31.5 inch 4K screen.

SaltSlasher

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
WVC, SLC
I was waiting cause I was cosidering one. I have a built PC and was going to weigh in on the price/performance between upgrading my PC, and getting a new iMac.

As of right now, I am now waiting for Mac Pro, because I am not super impressed with iMac. I might get one, but if I do I will get the smallest one with no upgrades, because for 2k I could literally buy the iMac basic and upgrade my CPU, Mobo, and GPU in my desktop!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Think of all the money u could save on a 2011 model right now!! Plus be using it by next week. That's a ton of money difference I'm sure . And I bet by next week the refurb site will be flooded with returns for the exact model you would want. Yes the screen is fancy but the 2011 screen isnt anything to be ashamed to own.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. The price difference, and the fact the screen is fine on my 2007 iMac makes me think.

I would rather buy a refurb (I'm in UK btw), how much are a top spec 2011 version? wonder how much I'd get for my iMac. Alu 2007, 2GHz C2D, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD.

schmoopy.design

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Champaign, IL
I went the refurb route and can't wait to pick up my new iMac next Monday.

Went for the 27" 3.1 GHz i5 for $1599 and purchased 32 GBs of ram from Crucial for an extra $177.

I think this machine will last me for many years to come. I am so excited to see how quickly and smoothly all of my design programs will run on this baby. I'm sure it is going to be a huge upgrade over my 2007 24" iMac.

Good luck with your purchase.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
This is exactly what I'm thinking. The price difference, and the fact the screen is fine on my 2007 iMac makes me think.

I would rather buy a refurb (I'm in UK btw), how much are a top spec 2011 version? wonder how much I'd get for my iMac. Alu 2007, 2GHz C2D, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD.

If you don't want/need the upgraded CPU, GPU and USB 3, then a refurb 2011 is a perfectly fine computer, regardless of what some people think about when a computer is "outdated" and "unusable".

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I went the refurb route and can't wait to pick up my new iMac next Monday.

Went for the 27" 3.1 GHz i5 for $1599 and purchased 32 GBs of ram from Crucial for an extra $177.

I think this machine will last me for many years to come. I am so excited to see how quickly and smoothly all of my design programs will run on this baby. I'm sure it is going to be a huge upgrade over my 2007 24" iMac.

Good luck with your purchase.

Can I ask how much and how/where you are going to sell your old iMac?

I think I'll think about selling my old iMac and wait and see what comes in the refurb store.

Do the Apple retail stores still sell the older models when newer ones are released? Just I could go into a store and buy an older one with education discount?

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
You might want to wait until the 2012 iMacs are tested and reviewed to make a informed decision. They could kick the 2011 iMacs butts as far as performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.