Was your Barclays limit higher once your physical card arrived?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Full collapse, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Full collapse macrumors newbie

Juwt looking for insight. Lookin to pull the trigger on the highend 13 or a midrange 15" MacBook Pro, applied for the barclays card and with a 750 Fico, 3% avail. Credit utilization, auto loan, no late payments ever, they approved a whopping $290 inital purchase limit.....

I'm wonderig if the limit actually be higher once the card gets here or if I'll never be activating it and cutting it up. I'd put it on a different card, but the 0% APR deal is what I wanted it for. My other cards APRs are top rediclious for me to swipe high purchases to it again.

Thanks guys

2. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

One bit of tangential advice, just because I swore I'd warn other people about this: I don't know if the Barclay's acquisition influenced them for the better, but when they were Juniper they were among the worst of the worst in sleazy credit card companies.

Expect the physical card and the first bill to arrive so late that you cannot even conceivably get the payment in by the due date on the bill.

Expect them to tell you that you should allow 7-10 days for your payment to arrive through the USPS, but never to admit that by that expectation of postal performance they should have sent you the bill two weeks earlier than they did.

Expect them to tell you that, in the absence of the bill they couldn't be bothered to send in a timely manner, it was your responsibility to call them at the number on the back of the card they also didn't send in a timely manner and ask them when they thought you owed them money.

Expect them to invoke a rule hidden on a remote page of their website, and neither stated nor referred to anywhere else, that for any payment received without an original payment slip (such as from someone who uses an online bill pay service through his bank), they will automatically sit on the payment for ten days before crediting it to the account.

Expect them to use your "delinquency" as an excuse to cancel the no-interest period immediately, thus invalidating the entire reason you took the card in the first place.

I am absolutely anal about paying my bills, and this is the only company that has ever managed to get me with its practices. I was only using it for the financial convenience of a no-interest period, and ended up having to argue with somebody so rude it amazes me anyone let her near a telephone until she backed out the late fees just to get rid of me, then shift money around to pay these jerks off immediately so as to minimize the amount they could profit off their unethical business practices.

3. Full collapse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I got my confirmation email tht said I could create and log in to my account so I did and it turns put my limit really only is $300. With my income
    and credit history that's kind of a slap in the face. So I gonna switch it up and use my Chase card at a stupid APR and do some financial allocation changes to pay it off quick.

4. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

Save up till ya got the cash ......:)

5. ecloud macrumors newbie

Barclays still sucks

My first (and last) experience with Barclays is that I tried to set up automatic payments, and because I put in my bank account number wrong (because the number for electronic transactions is longer than the one that's usually on my bank statement) they charged me a $39.95 fee. So I called up about that, and no, they cannot waive that fee. I asked for a manager, and the person tells me that one is not available but can call back within 24 - 48 hours.

To me, a fee is punishment for trying to defraud them in some way. Late payment - that's normal. My payment was not late: I corrected the mistake and still got it in on time. They are charging me this much because of a simple error. It most certainly does not cost them that much for an unsuccessful attempt to make an electronic transfer.

Since there is "zero interest" they will be as greedy as they can in other ways.

6. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I was wondering if I was the only one. I've paid off a brand new car, making payments on a new truck, paid off two student loans, never had a late bill, income greater than $90k, >750 credit score, homeowner, and they flat out denied me. What gives? It made me feel like some punk, I was just going to use the no interest for financial convenience of paying it off over a few months, so I just paid cash but felt rather offended.

7. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

That is probably why they denied you. They figured you were going to do exactly that and they were not going to make any money off you.

Bestbuy was running 24months free financing last weekend for all Apple Products over $999. That's when I picked up my new iMac. I could pay a whopping 54 dollars a month and still pay it off without any interest. LOL

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Anything Barclays touches is a scam waiting to happen. They are by far the worst company I have ever dealt with. Stay away!

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I have no problem with them. The limit was as they stated, the 0% interest is just that, 0% and I've nearly paid it off within the 0 interest limit. No problems here.