Was your computer infected with malware?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Irock619, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

If you've been watching the news there is a virus outbreak infecting all computers. A rep from McAfee says that this virus has infected all computers, no matter if you have a PC or MAC. I'm not sure how credible this person is. Apparently the FBI is shutting down all infected computers and their internet networks at 9:00 pm PST.

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you got any links?
    I would be surprised, if it is an actual virus, that can affect Mac OS X, but then again, stranger things have happened. It would be the first anyway.

To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

Anyway, to answer your question, "Was your computer infected with malware?", no, my Macs never were infected since I have been using them since 2004, but then again, I employ safe steps, circumventing AV software btw., and having more CPU power for Friendface.

3. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

This malware was released last year and infected many internet users. Apparently there are still thousands of computers that are infected and the FBI wants to shut them down tonight.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/05/malware-may-knock-thousands-off-internet-on-monday/

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

5. simsaladimbamba

The article, and the FBI page sweetbrat linked to, don't mention any infections affecting Mac OS X.
    Anyway, here are steps to remove the settings DNSchanger manipulated: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_...t-and-fix-a-machine-infected-with-dnschanger/

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The "virus" is a DNS changing malware from five years ago used in a massive pay-per-click scheme. The FBI seized the systems used in the scheme and fixed the redirects, so that the folks with computers using the bad DNS servers would still be able to use the internet. Now the FBI is taking those servers offline so anyone who has succumbed to this malware needs to finally get around to fixing their computers.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

That specific FBI page doesn't mention it, but there's articles on cnet and a PDF on the FBI website that do. Apparently it is possible to get it on a Mac, and it can even effect some routers.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57421311-263/renewed-efforts-to-revert-dnschanger-in-effect/

As theLimit mentioned, it's not anything new. People who have infected computers might find that they can't connect to the internet after the FBI takes the servers offline. That happens tomorrow, which is why there's a flurry of activity and information about it now.

8. GCWB macrumors member

9. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Here's another site with more info and a way to check your Mac or PC. Been mentioned on the local news a lot lately.

http://www.dcwg.org/

10. jcpb macrumors 6502a

11. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

Thanks for all the links guys....but my main reason for posting this thread was to see if any MAC users were affected by this and had to fix their computers.

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Nope, mine was fine.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The very article you linked mentions Macs.

This is a trojan that masqueraded as a codec and required the user to actually install the software (app) on a Mac or Windows machine.

This trojan can and does impact Macs.

14. simsaladimbamba

That is why I linked to that article, as I wrote, that the articles the OP and sweetbrat linked to weren't even mentioning Macs.

I did not say, DNSchanger does not affect Mac OS X, just that the articles weren't that full of information, thus my link.

But then again, it is late and tomorrow we film naked people dancing in front of a black background, thus I might have confused something.