Was your current unlimited plan transferred to iPad 2 successfully?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sketchr, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Sketchr, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

Sketchr macrumors 6502a

My iPad2 order is stuck on the 5-7 day route from Apple.com. Hoping the call to at&t for the switch will be easy.

Any problems for those with unlimited plans with 1 for transfer on to 2?

Easy, w/o incident?

2. jairrobali macrumors newbie

Yes, it does. Just remove sim card from old iPad and swap. It will pick right up where you left off.

3. Sketchr thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to avoid messing with the SIM card. Hoping to hear of an actual successful account switch.

4. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Seems to me it'd be easier and less risky to switch the SIM than it would be to rely on AT&T personnel to make a SIM number switch for your account.

:)

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

There's no "messing" required. Open the drawer on each, swap SIM, close drawer.

6. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'd like to know as well, I don't have the original SIM, so I need to have AT&T transfer it. I don't have the iPad, I am transferring the unlimited account to my brothers iPad and I'm wondering what I need to do and what info I will need if I call. Or is it easiest to go to an AT&T store?

7. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Same here, just had to reset network settings, enter my email and password and was good to go, unlimited for life!

8. advan031 macrumors 6502

9. bmat, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

bmat macrumors 6502

I called, and they switched it for me. I read somewhere that that was the better way to do it.

EDIT:

But now I can't activate the old one under the currently offered plans. Think I need a new micro sim now, as the old and new iPad have the same "phone number." So by "better" I guess it means more inconvenient as I'll now have to go to an AT&T store to get a new sim card.

10. Sketchr thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it sounds as if switching SIMS card is the only way to go without buying another for the former.

For some reason I thought opening up the iPad even to switch SIMS would void the warranty. But I guess if something did go wrong it could be switched back.

11. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Why would they include a SIM ejection tool if doing so would void the warranty ?

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

The iPad is unlocked, meaning the SIM is designed, and expected, to be replaced. I've done this abroad and it's one of the big selling points of a GSM iPad.

13. w00tini macrumors 6502a

no need to move sim cards guys. just login to AT&T ipad data website, change ipad ID over to the new ipad and you're all set. this is from AT&T directly. it will keep your unlimited plan in place.

14. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

My SIMM switch worked right away. I did call AT&T today and gave them the my new IMEI number. They told me it was just record keeping. I didn't want my iPad1 buyer to hijack my unlimited plan, but then again I kept the original SIMM for the iPad2.

15. Sketchr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does the iPad 2 contain an ejection tool that works for iPad 1? I seem to have misplaced mine. :(

16. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Yes thee was a SIMM tool in the packet. It was round, not flat like some of the others I've seen in the past.

17. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Use a paperclip. To answer the question though, it does. Apple went real cheap on it this time though. Before it was shiny and pretty, now it looks like something that came from the USSR.

18. pugnut macrumors 6502a

No need to transfer Sim

You need to go the link below, log into your account, and change the IMEI number of the new device and it will work. It is device based not sim based meaning that if you change the sim and not the device information u may lose the unlimited plan. Prior to this i swamped my SIM into my wifes Ipad and had the same issue had to explain to ATT to get it back

Https://dcp2.ATT.com/OEPNDClient/

19. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

ok...looks like you have other options

20. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

You have that right. I thought I had read somewhere that the old ones might have been made out of that "liquid metal" as some sort of a test. Though the one I had from iPad1 was had a flat shape. Not sure if it would have worked in the round hole of the iPad2. I can't remember the shape of the hole on the iPad1.