Washed out colors on 2011 Mac Book Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rimmi2002, Jul 29, 2011.

1. rimmi2002 macrumors member

I just switched from a 2011 Macbook Pro to a 2011 MacBook Air. I am pretty happy with the performance of the machine, but the colors just seems washed out and not as vibrant as the Macbook Pro. I am having a hard time adjusting...kinda eating away at me. I have a samsung panel...I looked around for thread and decreased contrast all the way down, that improved things a little bit but not too much....any other recc'd on making this any better. I might have to return this MBA if I am not able to change it or get used to it. Thanks for the help!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

The Pros have always had better screens than the Airs. Try calibrating it, but it won't ever be as good as what you are used to.

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If you are not happy with it, then return it. Btw, you are really picky.

MBP has better screen than MBA with exception on 13 MBP.

4. PlayHard macrumors member

Calibrate it

Out of the box, they look washed out. Before returning, try calibrating. Download SuperCal and try the free version just to see how dramatic a change it can make. If you like it, buy it and re-calibrate.

5. rimmi2002 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah unfortunately I am. Screen quality is the most important for a comp. One of the main reasons I have liked apple so much is that they always have the best screen quality around. This MBA is a big step down. I'll try calibrating it. Thanks.

6. OSMac macrumors 65816

It's a lower contrast panel,
    you can boost the gamma using a calibration tool,
    but it will still fall short of the Pro screen.

Air is all about being thin, quiet, instant on, etc., even at the expense of a lower display quality.

I'd still take an Air over a Macbook Pro unless I was mostly using it on a desk.

7. Fugue macrumors 6502

I wanted to replace my 13" Pro for a 13" Air as well, but I ultimately decided against it. Like you mentioned, the screen of the Air was a major turnoff. The resolution was higher, but the colors were less vibrant. This is due to the lower color gamut. The MBA is just too washed out, and personally, I find the thickness of the MBP much more comfortable.

8. rimmi2002 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the more I use it, the more washed out the colors look. I tired calibrating it, but most likely I am not doing it right since they all come out looking worse than the original.

I was wondering how does the 11 inch MBA compare to the 13 inch in terms of display?

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

SuperCal doesn't work in Lion as it needs Rosetta.

Reportedly a lot better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXVcASL5v7s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

11. Vanillian macrumors member

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1) really? It broke for me when upgrading to Lion and said it needed Rosetta. Gave me the icon with the translucent no go warning.. Must re-download from the website as it's a fantastic programme.

Yes but things haven't changed in the 2011 refresh. The same applies.