Washed out iPhone - options??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zeusbap, Apr 11, 2009.

1. zeusbap macrumors newbie

Alright, here's the deal. I have an iPhone 3G that was dropped in water for a few seconds, and I took it apart, cleaned it out, and got it to "work" again. It connected to iTunes and charged the battery, but I was having issues with the screen giving a good image (it was pretty dim and was flickering). As I was working on it, one of the little wires in connector 1 broke off. I wasn't going to give up, so I found the wire and tried to solder it back on (pretty tiny for a solder job, but hey, might as well give it a shot). Once I got it on, i was shaping it and the **** thing popped off and I couldn't find it. I won't have small-gauge wire for a few days so I'm weighing my options before I continue. So here are a few questions...

My background in building circuits is basic, so does anyone know how possible it would be to use the screen in another system? For example, use it in my car as a screen for my old powerbook G4 that had a cracked screen? I took off the display after it broke so now it's nice and thin... It still recognizes DVI and S-video- could i use the screen and run "Boxee" off of that?? How tough would that be to set up? (Digitizer, screen, etc.)

When I go back to resolder this guy, I'm going to see if I can find someone with slightly more experience than me (read: a LOT more experience and a steady hand). If this description fits your skill set, then on a scale of one to ten, how difficult is this going to be? (the wire ripped clear off the board, so I'm not sure if there's much of a contact tab- again, I'm more of a novice when it comes to soldering so I'm not sure what kind of damage that caused)

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a pinout of connector 1? If I'm unable to get a wire attached, is there anything else I can do with it? I'm open to suggestions, but I'm really hoping to either get the phone function working again or use it in my car.

Finally, I'm sure this question is answered elsewhere but a quick google search failed to find anything: If a current AT&T customer puts his SIM card in a working iPhone, will it still be able to be used as a phone, or does it require activation with each SIM card? If all works out, I hope to slide my SIM card from my RAZR into this baby and use it without an iphone dataplan.

Thanks!

- Brian

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

With the iPhone 3G, any SIM card from the carrier that phone is locked to should work. So, in your case, inserting any activated AT&T SIM card should work okay. However, if the account that SIM card is activated on doesn't have an iPhone plan, AT&T will switch you to that data plan once they detect you're using an iPhone.

The original iPhone is a different story though, last time I used one. It did have to be activated on an individual SIM basis.

3. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Given

a) limited information known on the iphone video controller that sends video to the LCD
    b) the fact that it could be water damaged
    c) your extremely limited knowledge of how these things work (its not the same as a display port out)

I would say it would be pretty impossible

a) you don't even have access to thin gauge wire/solder/proper tools
    b) ripped the wires

Means you didn't really have the expertise needed for the job and probably damaged things more than what you started with. I would suggest you learn how to solder on much bigger things first. If you don't know what to build try making things with LEDs/resistors/batteries

Again this is not a standard video out format like DVI/VGA/HDMI, it uses a proprietary pin out. Even if you managed to get the correct pinout, the chances of it working with another monitor are pretty slim ( it was probably software and hardware produced to only work with one specific LCD in mind)

answered above

You sound like a eager person trying to learn, but you are trying to grasp things that you have no knowledge on :confused:

you should Google " Can I turn my lcd laptop monitor into a desktop monitor" [​IMG]

4. zeusbap thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the sarcastic optimism and encouragement regarding my expertise and eagerness to learn. I just wanted to say that I finally got around to messing with the phone the other day. Long story short, I found a microscope and sharp solder tip, resoldered the connection (which was for the backlight), cleaned out all of the parts and scrubbed off as much as I could, reassembled it, and voilà! The digitizer, dock connector, home button, and volume/vibrate buttons were giving me some trouble, but a little more cleaning did the trick. It's rigged to not register as an iPhone with AT&T and all of the parts function properly.

[​IMG]

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Before you start your next project, it may pay you to look here :)

6. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Nice job , glad it worked out for you in the end

Now go read some books/test out soldering with cheaper parts !