Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2014
Hi everyone, I just bought an Apple Watch. It's the first one released in 2015 not the Series 1 or 2.
Anyway, I'm curious about something : do you guys always wear your Apple Watch even when you wash your hands ? I'm not really afraid of the water as I've heard it should resist water splash (even though it's not water-proof up to 50 meters like the Series 2) but what I'm afraid of is the soap. This might sound like a stupid question but I have no idea how the watch react when it's exposed to soap. Will it get damaged ? For now I remove it every time I wash my hands but it's a little bit annoying.

Anyone willing to share his/her experience about that ? Thank you very much.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If get soap on the Watch, simply rinse it off thoroughly. It shouldn't damage if if you rinse it off in a timely fashion.

Reactions: FrisbeeK9

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
I've been wearing my Series 0 since the day they were first released and it's been on my wrist every day. It's been washed, showered, even lathered in soup to clean. I've never had an issue with it.

Reactions: Night Spring

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2014
If get soap on the Watch, simply rinse it off thoroughly. It shouldn't damage if if you rinse it off in a timely fashion.

I've been wearing my Series 0 since the day they were first released and it's been on my wrist every day. It's been washed, showered, even lathered in soup to clean. I've never had an issue with it.
Thanks for the feedback guys.
600 showers, 20 swims, 50 rain runs, 10,000 hand washes, 25 car washes, etc. Of course my :apple:Watch has not worked since it touched water on the first day but I still wear it.:D:D

Silly answer but so is the thread.:eek:
If you read the original post, which I highly doubt you did considering your useless answer, you would have know that I'm not worried about water at all but worried about soap instead...
I worry more about getting my leather straps wet than the Watch.
I also have a leather band, the classic buckle, hope it won't get damaged.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I wash my hands likely 5-6 times a day and am careful about getting to high with the soap as I do not want it to get behind the watch to avoid irritation. I have the Apple leather loop (three different colors) and once a week wash the watch and band under warm water. Not sure if your leather band will like getting wet, so take care.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wash my hands likely 5-6 times a day and am careful about getting to high with the soap as I do not want it to get behind the watch to avoid irritation. I have the Apple leather loop (three different colors) and once a week wash the watch and band under warm water. Not sure if your leather band will like getting wet, so take care.

Love the leather loop by the way. Unbelievably comfortable. But I avoid at all costs getting the leather wet.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
600 showers, 20 swims, 50 rain runs, 10,000 hand washes, 25 car washes, etc. Of course my :apple:Watch has not worked since it touched water on the first day but I still wear it.:D:D

Silly answer but so is the thread.:eek:
Really hilarious my friend!:p

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....If you read the original post, which I highly doubt you did considering your useless answer, you would have know that I'm not worried about water at all but worried about soap instead....
Then how is this for an answer.:D:D:D

IMG_0073_zpsvj00wltd.jpg

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas

Are you saying you wash your leather loop bands once a week without issues? I just bought my first leather loop, so I am interested in how to best keep it clean.

Then how is this for an answer.:D:D:D

IMG_0073_zpsvj00wltd.jpg

Unlike Juilen, I am always careful not to get soap and water into the microphone or speaker holes. However, I rinse mine every time I get back from a run and I use a "small" amount of soap on it once a week followed by a good rinse.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Unlike Juilen, I am always careful not to get soap and water into the microphone or speaker holes. However, I rinse mine every time I get back from a run and I use a "small" amount of soap on it once a week followed by a good rinse.
And yet ours both function the same even after >600 soapy showers.;):D

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Hi everyone, I just bought an Apple Watch. It's the first one released in 2015 not the Series 1 or 2.
Anyway, I'm curious about something : do you guys always wear your Apple Watch even when you wash your hands ? I'm not really afraid of the water as I've heard it should resist water splash (even though it's not water-proof up to 50 meters like the Series 2) but what I'm afraid of is the soap. This might sound like a stupid question but I have no idea how the watch react when it's exposed to soap. Will it get damaged ? For now I remove it every time I wash my hands but it's a little bit annoying.

Anyone willing to share his/her experience about that ? Thank you very much.

I shower every single day with my S0 Apple Watch. No issues after 19 months.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I never showered with the non-Apple Watches, so I really see no need to start a new trend with my AW. :)

Those are my thoughts. Showering with watches, let alone my Apple Watch, in general doesn't work for me. But that's me.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Love the leather loop by the way. Unbelievably comfortable. But I avoid at all costs getting the leather wet.

Oooops. I have washed my leather loops MANY times and they look like the day I bought them. The leather is so "worked over" that it is hardly leather anymore. I like the band because of the ease of changing sizes quickly.
Are you saying you wash your leather loop bands once a week without issues? I just bought my first leather loop, so I am interested in how to best keep it clean.

My leather loops have been washed so many times and with zero harm. Still my favorite but worries me that Apple might not keep making.

The "leather" has had the leather processed out of it. It does not even change color when wet. No worries.

RobtheJedii

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Washington D.C
I've been washing my hands since I received my AW Series 2 about a week ago.

Sometimes more than others, a splash would get on the watch but I don't worry about it too much. I dry it and continue with my day.

If a significant amount of water drips down my arm, I normally take my watch off and try it off.

Regarding the soup. If I do dishes, I wear gloves or just take my watch off.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Taking showers with it almost daily since I got it 16 months ago. It did get some water damage when I was in Florida on vacation but the problems went away after it dried out for two days and never came back again even when swimming.

Apple themselves says that soap, detergents and oily liquids are the problem, breaking down the rubber seals inside the watch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Taking showers with it almost daily since I got it 16 months ago. It did get some water damage when I was in Florida on vacation but the problems went away after it dried out for two days and never came back again even when swimming.

Apple themselves says that soap, detergents and oily liquids are the problem, breaking down the rubber seals inside the watch.

Excellent point. Most don't realize the damage can cause by subjecting the Watch to soaps and oils. It certainly will affect the seals and they will deteriorate.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Excellent point. Most don't realize the damage can cause by subjecting the Watch to soaps and oils. It certainly will affect the seals and they will deteriorate.
Correct and excessive exposure (like I do) could see gaskets stat to deteriorate in about 5 to 10 years.:eek: Now if you could only find a way for the battery to last that long, ;) Apple to support the :apple:Watch that long and Moore's law not make it obsolete it might be worth it to baby it.:D

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I wont baby it. It's supposed to be upgraded at least bi annually. I'm skipping series 2 but I'm certain that series 3 will be my next watch.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2014
I don't have time to answer every posts but I would to give a big thanks to every one here for your feedback. ;)

@Julien : Yep, now I like that answer better haha. :p

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
And yet ours both function the same even after >600 soapy showers.;):D

But this doesn't mean your Apple Watch will last over his, because you subjected it to "600 Soapy showers." There is no quantitative data to prove your Watch's life span. For all you know, it could stop working in a week, for reasons already noted or internal damage you're not aware of. Duly noted, but it's safe to say not showering with the 'Series 0' (Assuming this is your model) will last longer without fault, then say subjecting it to water/oil which eventually or could inherit damage.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I've gone snorkelling in the ocean and spent vacations in a pool with my original (Series 0) AppleWatch. Although Apple didn't advertise it, the original Apple Watch has a water resistance rating that can more than easily handle shallow water and splashes — including washing your hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.