Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
is it safe to wash the iPad-3/4 Only smart covers not the case with plain water ? What if I just hold the Smart Cover under running tap water and gently rinse it ? Any harm ? Will it damage the Smart Cover ?

bmclaurin

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I use dish soap and water to clean both the silicone and microfiber sides of mine. Lather it up fairly well with a sponge and rinse thoroughly. Then let air dry overnight. It does wonders for removing oil buildup that transfers over time from the screen to the MF, as well as other tiny pieces of debris that gets picked up by the MF. I wouldn't do that with a leather one though.

Reactions: tgara

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I use dish soap and water to clean both the silicone and microfiber sides of mine. Lather it up fairly well with a sponge and rinse thoroughly. Then let air dry overnight. It does wonders for removing oil buildup that transfers over time from the screen to the MF, as well as other tiny pieces of debris that gets picked up by the MF. I wouldn't do that with a leather one though.

I have a Apple leather Smart Cover with the Micro fibre side inside and leather outside. Should I run it under tap water ? The Micro fibre side has picked up a lot of minute debris so thinking of cleaning it.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
i've used a gentle soapy water hand wash (small dish and a cloth or sponge) numerous times before now, even on my grubby new ASK. doesn't harm the thing per se, but it is most delicate, so be gentle with it :)

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
i've used a gentle soapy water hand wash (small dish and a cloth or sponge) numerous times before now, even on my grubby new ASK. doesn't harm the thing per se, but it is most delicate, so be gentle with it :)

Did you have a Apple Leather Smart Cover or the Silicon one ? Did you use it on the Leather one ?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I wouldn't dunk the leather in water. Wipe with soapy sponge or cloth, as others have suggested. Let it dry throughly, then if you have leather conditioner, like ones for handbags or shoes, apply some lightly and rub it in well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.