Washington DC coverage?? HELP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmic411, Jul 27, 2009.

1. jmic411 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask such a question, so I apologize in advance if it isn't.

Anyway, I'm looking to potentially switch over to AT&T and iPhone in the Washington DC area, but I wasn't sure how good the coverage is in this area (including subways?)... anyone have any first hand experience?

THANK YOU

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Coverage is fine all over, but forget Metro. Only Verizon has Metro that I know of.

3. w3cum macrumors regular

I have 3G coverage all over DC with a few exceptions,

Nothing in the Tunnels of the Metro, however I get service in Gallery Place and Metro Center.

I also do not have coverage in Theatre at Gallery Place. Most other places 5 bars.

There was a program going on to add cell towers in the Tunnels but I have not heard how soon it will be done.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I hadn't heard anything about the tunnels for AT&T. I thought Verizon had a monopoly or something. It sure would be nice, since I hate to see all these people using their phones, and I'm DITW.

5. ucdr2003 macrumors newbie

The four major carriers will all be operable on Metro by 2012. WMATA has completed an agreement between with the four that will build out a comprehensive underground network at no cost to the transit agency. The deal is actually revenue positive for Metro.

This agreement is similar to an agreement with cellular carriers to equip Boston's Central Artery Tunnel for cell service.

Several key stations should be ready by the end of this year, though there is going to be some variability in the rollout. The infrastructure will support wireless broadband for both CDMA and GSM.

So, yes, AT&T will be available underground, but it's going to take time for a complete build-out.

More info:
    http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=2479

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Coverage is fine but 3G speeds are noticeably slower since January.

But all in all, it's not bad.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I get 1444 down.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My trip to the Wash DC area a few weeks ago, was awesome from the standpoint of AT&T 3G coverage and cell phone coverage as well. Metro was for the birds, but everyone was talking about 2012 being the big switch to all major carriers having access while on the Metro, as several posts have mentioned. I was really impressed with AT&T's service throughout the DC area. I can't remember not having 3G and there were only a couple of pockets where my bars dropped below 4-5 bars.....:cool::cool::cool:

9. Ahiqar macrumors member

Yes, I agree with the other posters. Coverage is great in DC (minus the Metro). In the suburbs (NoVa) coverage is excellent as well. Where I work AT&T is the only company to have coverage all throughout the building.

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

In general AT&T's coverage is pretty good, although as you get further out it's a little weaker. The 3G network is pretty hit or miss, too, but on the whole it'll be there when you need it.

11. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I have great coverage and always on 3G unless i'm in my basement it switches to Edge.

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

So if you have Verizon, you get full coverage on the subway? Like when it's moving and everything?

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yup. If you're on the above-ground sections of the Metro, of course, you get service with all carriers. The tunnels are currently Verizon-only, though.

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Wow, that's sweet. I wish Toronto had something like that.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

There's a couple of BART/Rail WiFi spots underground in the San Francisco Area, so hopefully they'll get something like that for the entire BART train system for ALL carriers.....

16. paulyras macrumors 6502

Awesome everywhere but the Helix Hotel on Rhode Island. Sadly, it's my favorite hotel, but crap AT&T service.

17. amorican macrumors member

amorican

To echo others statements, I know that my sister gets excellent reception with her 8gb 3g in D.C. and NOVA. I'm jealous as my Denver, Co. reception sucks.

18. MavsX macrumors member

MavsX

Yeah, that is pretty much what i was going to say. Although i thought the sprint and at&t would get some service this year..like i read October a few months back..i dont remember.

Either way, i think the 3g is pretty good here. No complaints. Everybody told me at&t sucked and i would get all these dropped calls and terrible service. I have had the exact opposite; sounds like the liberal media. lol

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Glad to see the District is representing on MacRumors :)

As others have said, coverage here is good to great, but no service on the metro. I also can't get a signal in my apartment, but that's another issue. You'll be happy with them overall living in DC.