Washington DC/VA/MD Area: AT&T vs. Verizon iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by donaldcc, Sep 22, 2012.

1. donaldcc macrumors newbie

donaldcc

I got my iPhone 5 yesterday and notice the AT&T models were selling-out like hotcakes! Is there something I am missing about the AT&T version of the phone?

Forum Question: Why does it seem that most locations sold out of the AT&T phones....Is the AT&T phone better than Verizon for the DC/MD/VA area???

2. 435713 macrumors 6502a

Hello fellow DC area native :)

Maybe it was just the area you were in? Around these parts AT&T and Verizon both seem to get really good coverage. Of course were are a freaking large metropolitan area. Could be the voice and data at the same time thing or just random that everyone was doing that.

I think the count in the circle I know are 10 iPhones 6 AT&T and 4 Verizon. None complain about service on either.

3. donaldcc thread starter macrumors newbie

donaldcc

Hi Sacrid! Thanks for this feedback. I was just wondering because it seems as though the AT&T phones were selling out at the Clarendon, Tyson, and several other stores on the launch day. As for me...I left AT&T this go around for Verizon! AT&T was the worst for me...in terms of drop calls and consistent service.

4. sselemit macrumors member

All because of the Sim. That's why GSM is more popular than CDMA generally, not just in Metro area; even though CDMA is more advanced. Calling customer service is ALOT more hassle than popping in the sim. :cool:

5. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Not sure if I agree with the last statement. If you have a Verizon CDMA phone and you want to swap to a different one, all you have to do is go to the Verizon website and enter some number from the phone and you are done.

I just did that a few month ago for a relative. Her phone was dying, so I bought a used CDMA phone, swap it out for her on Verizon website and send the phone to her. No need to call anybody.

Also, I would think the Verizon iPhone 5 would now be more popular consider that they are not SIM locked like the ATT iPhone 5.

6. co22 macrumors member

Hi donaldcc, how is Verizon working out for you on your iPhone 5?

I'm thinking of switching from AT&T (currently using a 4S) once the shipping times go from 3-4 weeks to a couple of days. My main issues with AT&T are a weak indoor signal (at my office in the Tysons Corner area) and the dismal service they have at Nationals Park and in/near the Verizon Center.

Has anyone switched and getting better service with Verizon than with AT&T in the DC area?

7. jandre macrumors newbie

No simultaneous voice and data = no Verizon for me. I am also in the DC area and while the coverage is generally acceptable, as it happens the one place I get rather poor coverage is at my office. I am also having issues with simultaneous data and calls though on AT&T which I thought was supposed to work. Something about CDMA needing an extra antenna vs GSM. Might wind up returning it for this reason and trying a different phone.

8. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

Made the switch and happy with VZW. It works in areas we had trouble before (out towards Winchester) as well as areas we visit for family that have 0 AT&T coverage. So we are happy.

No voice/data is a minor thing for us. No signal means you won't get either. And with VoLTE in the near future it won't be that way forever where Verizon can't do both.