Washington Post Says...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Small White Car, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So there's the great debate over $599 iPhones and if they're truley "un-locked" or just "contract-free" (requiring some other AT&T contract, just not a 2-year commitment). From what I've seen, we have no real "proof" one way or the other. Just guesses and speculation.

We now have a Washington Post article claiming that they'll be fully un-locked, usable on other carriers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/01/AR2008070101048.html?hpid=sec-tech

I don't consider this total proof (they may also be wrong) but this is the first real source I've seen that says this. I'd hope they cleared this with AT&T before running it, after all.

It occurs to me that (in the U.S.) you can only use iPhones with T-Mobile and you won't get 3G speeds on them. (T-Mobile doesn't have it yet, and once they do I'm pretty sure it's a different technology than the iPhone uses.)

So could it be that AT&T is just not afraid of that competition so they don't care?

Dunno. I only bring this up because I was certain that these $599 phones would still require an AT&T contract of some sort, but here's a trusted news source saying otherwise.

2. Spongey817 macrumors regular

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

AT&T still gets a huge chunk of cash for well... nothing.

4. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Which is another reason they might allow it.

I'm not saying it's fair or anything, I'm just surprised because I didn't even think they'd allow this much.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And Centennial. And all of the other little GSM providers.

6. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hmmm...

What's the internet status with all of these? Are they in the same boat as T-Mobile? Offering 2G only at this point?

My knowledge in this area is obviously very low.

7. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

what is the point of paying $600 for a phone you cant really use to its full capability on another network. not only will you loose visual voice mail but now you cant get 3G either. start switching and quit the bitching.

8. iPaul macrumors regular

i don't believe it is fully unlocked, but then again why not sell it for 599 if you can....you really can't use it on any other carrier without losing 3G so youd have to be an idiot to go for it

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Or not care about data with near-ubiquitous Wi-Fi in your area. Seriously, 90% of cell phone users couldn't care less about data.

10. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I would not be surprised if AT&T did not sell these at all and only Apple did.

11. iPaul macrumors regular

But is that the case for 90% of iPhone users?

12. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

IF I switched to AT&T for my household, having 2 iPhones would cost us about $180 per month.

Due to some unique situations I have with T-Mobile I could (potentially) have 2 iPhones with them for about $120 per month.

Am I missing some features? Sure. Are those features woth $60 EXTRA per month? Not quite.

I admit my situation isn't standard, but it IS my situation so that's what I'm judging this by. I know it's not the same for everyone, but for me, $120 compared to $180 is pretty compelling.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

With Wi-Fi and EDGE, plans would be better than AT&T.