wat puts more ware on machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jongewehr, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

1) what puts more ware on the machine (hdd...)
    to reboot, or sleeping ,

does sleeping put the same amout of ware as rebooting.

2) what puts on more ware: Sleeping or on

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Although we try not to make it a practice to give people a hard time on grammar here please be sensitive to others since we are the ones reading your posts. There's a lot of misspelling and I'm not completely sure what you are asking since your grammar is difficult to understand.
    If you're asking what method of operation puts the most wear on your machine then it would be shutting down and starting up a lot. It's recommended to only shut down if you need to travel extensively with your notebook. Sleep works very well and doesn't hurt the computer.

3. Simon 5000 macrumors member

Don't worry about ware, just use your Mac, and make sure to verify disk permissions regularly, calibrate your battery every month, and other things like that to keep your investment working well for longer.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have a feeling this was posted from an iPod touch.

Definitely constant shutting down. The general rule regarding resetting your ram is what once a week?

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Um, there's no general rule in regards to resetting the PRAM, especially that often. It's not needed unless your Mac is acting a bit unstable for no apparent reason.

6. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry guys let me ask this again

Does sleep put any ware on your Machine.

Does sleep put more ware than shutting down.

Does Sleep put more ware than leaving it on?

or

Does leaving it on put more ware than putting it to sleep

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There, fixed it for ya. ;)

Okay, please explain to us what you do with your computer that makes you concerned about this? Of course having the computer doing anything else besides being shut down will create wear on your Macbook. That's normal wear and tear.
    Sleep puts the computer into a state where the moving parts are at a relaxed state and only a small portion of the battery is being used. Tell us, what are you doing that you need to run it constantly?

8. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

When I put it to sleep does it matter if I leave the power connected?

9. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

"lol"ing at this.:D Though I have successfully posted a three or four line paragraph from my iPod. It took a very long time.

I think he's referring to wiping the ram on shut down. I don't really do it that often but it definitely goes faster after a shut down. Probably because I wait two or three weeks between shut downs (more often it's only when I get an update:eek:). Having 4 gigs really helps too.

My advice would be to shut it completely down every few days or so, especially if it's going to be off for almost a day or more. If you're using it two or three times a day then just let it sleep.