Watch a failure? More like beta.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Cyberstven, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Cyberstven macrumors regular

Hi All,
    I've been an owner of the Apple Watch since Day 1. I have to say that even given it's limitations, I am really enjoying it. I have been a die hard mechanical watch fanatic since I was a teenager, yet the Apple Watch has won "wrist time" 98% of the time. I keep reading all of these posts/articles about how the watch is a gigantic failure that no one wants, however, I don't think they realize that Apple is essentially beta testing the watch...AND getting their users to pay for it!

When it comes to agile development, the best case scenario is that users pay for your product while you are testing, measuring, and learning. This is the case with the watch, as Apple is clearly making a solid profit from the watches they have sold. While it's not enough to cause a significant uptick in their bottom line, that's not what they are worried about at this point.

At the moment, the Apple Watch is a very "basic" device. Based on my experience, as well as family/friends who I have talked to, most really only use a handful of features. I would say that the watch face (compilations), notifications, and the activity app are by far the most popular. Everyone I talk to hates the app screen. These are the types of findings that Apple is learning, and will likely take action on them so they can refine the software for the mainstream market.

I think native apps and new compilations are a huge step in the right direction. These will prevent us from waiting forever to get the information we "expect" quickly, as well as easier entry points into the apps (we c an now tap compilations to jump into an app). Personally, I think it would be a wise idea to have multiple "pages" of watch faces with different compilations, as this will provide quick access to bits of information and provide much easier access into apps...but that is besides the point.

What it all comes down to is that Apple is mostly interested in refining the basics. What if this version of the Apple Watch came with super advanced health sensors? I would venture to say that if this version was released with revolutionary sensors, the current software wouldn't hold up. If they can optimize the current software (less buggy, more reliable, improve UX/flows), the basics of the software will be the least of their concerns when they release a killer hardware feature.

People are thinking way too short term for this product. We've seen all the hires Apple has made for health sensors...new hardware is going to come eventually. When that does happen, the basics will "just work" and every day people will be able to seamlessly enjoy a watch that does 50 different things vs. a traditional watch that only does a fraction of that.

I predict the second and fourth generation Apple Watches are what will really get things moving in the wearable sector.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Was the original iPhone a beta too? It was even more crippled than the Watch compared to their respective competing products.

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Apple makes beautiful hardware. But not so much with the software. Their software looks pretty at an arm's length glance, but it takes Apple several years before their software reaches state of market.

It is not beta. It is just the best they were able to do.

4. srshaw macrumors 6502

I thought the original iPhone was well ahead of the competition at the time of launch, but it did take several generations to become a mature product. My first iPhone was the 3gs which does most of the things my latest iPhone 6 does.

I probably feel the Apple watch is similar. For me it's a great device, but I suspect subsequent generations will be even greater.

5. Cyberstven thread starter macrumors regular

It totally was. The difference is that there is much more scrutiny given Apple's popularity post iPhone,
    Agreed, but at the same time, their user testing is limited given how secretive they are before product launches. This current OS is entirely based off of the product team's hypotheses. Now they have to do what users actually want based off of their usage/feedback.