Watch about 13mm thin?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jacksonc, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

Based on a calculation I just did the 42mm apple watch is about 13mm thin!

2. cgc macrumors 6502a

How did you calculate this? There's no formula for thickness based on anything.

3. SHNXX macrumors 68000

There are high res pictures available.

FYI, 13mm is average for sport watches.
    Almost all iconic sport watches in the mechanical luxury watch segment are 12-20mm.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The difference is remember, they are deliberately made to be this size due to fashion of to make a statement.

Those watches are not made that size because they can't technically make them any thinner.

That's like comparing a Sumo Wrestler who is deliberately that size for the task required, and an American eating burgers and donuts who just happened to get that fat.

5. SHNXX macrumors 68000

The analogy is wrong.
    This is like an average person who cannot lose weight vs an average person who could lose weight.

6. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Let's just say for my argument that it is 13mm. That's about the same as the first iPad/iPhones were in thickness. I think it's a nice thickness, I personally don't care for something ultra thin on my wrist.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Oh wow, I'm so glad the Apple watch was not say 5mm or 6mm thick, I guess you would of been on these forums, posting complaints that it should be thicker.

Lucky it's a thickness you think is ideal.

8. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

So you'd rather have a 5-6mm device with 4 hours battery life or a 13mm device with a day's battery life?

What's really the point of an ultra thin, ultra light Apple Watch?

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Also as I pointed to in another thread. The 38mm @10.6mm and the 42mm @ 12.5mm depths are measured at the point of the sensor. So only a fraction of a square nm (yes, nano meter) will be at that depth. This will lay/fit in-between the ulna and the radius which is a natural divot in the arm. This will make the perceived thickness MUCH less that the actual 10.6mm/12.5mm measurement would suggest. It will probably be more like a 8mm and 10mm thickness watchs in actual use. This could be one reason Apple didn't announce the depth since it is not the same as if the back of the aWatch was flat like most.

10. SHNXX macrumors 68000

There are compromises that have to be made.

11. akm3 macrumors 68020

So 13mm is like a bit less than two iPhone 5's stacked on top of each other? Seems thick.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

No no.

It's not 13mm thin, it's about 13mm thick :)

I guess I could say I'm over 6ft short if I wished to play with words and try and mislead people.