Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeppelHut

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
As already mentioned here, I would like to create a simple iOS App that contains a list of all Apple Watch bands that have ever been shipped.

To not hijack the other thread anymore, I'm starting this thread here to discuss with you feature ideas but also to solve some challenges together with you like how to best get all those images from the watch bands that are not available anymore.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
@emiaj may have what you’re looking for. He’s got all of them on the chart, so he may have the high res versions somewhere.

emiaj

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015
Madrid, Spain
Hi! I'm in as well!
However the images that I used in the chart are not super high resolution either, as I got the historical ones from the web archive.
Also, in noticed that the quality of current watch bands' images are lower in the past few seasons at Apple.com...

Reactions: mikedop

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
As I posted in the other thread I'm all over this, but other than seeing the same challenge with images as you have identified I'm not sure how I can help with it.

@InfiniteJoules has a Numbers sheet with most of the part numbers for all bands Apple has released, which he was kind enough to share with some of us a week or two back. Better it comes from him, but that would give you a great start on the part numbers. @emiaj does awesome work updating the chart and her efforts have the launch and discontinued seasons covered.

I've been using that as my checklist for bands that I (or my wife) have, want or have in shipping to us, but as someone suggested on the other thread even an app without images would be better for that purpose.

I genuinely request that there is a category for "bought" or similar - we had 25 bands on the way earlier this week and it's easy to lose track, especially with global shipping as slow as it is just now and either accidentally order a duplicate or not notice if one doesn't turn up. 21 of the 25 are still on their way.

Reactions: mikedop

SeppelHut

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Thanks for all the feedback and the positive resonance. For the current bands, I've found a method to download them from apple.com in reasonable high quality (e.g. https://store.storeimages.cdn-apple...om/is/MWUW2?wid=5000&hei=5000&fmt=png&qlt=100). It seems that the old bands will really be the issue.

A list with the part numbers would help a lot. I will try to contact @InfiniteJoules within the next days for that.

See here a screenshot of an early alpha that I quickly hacked together today (containing dummy data):

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 11 Pro - 2020-05-21 at 23.38.13.png

InfiniteJoules

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
Gotham City
Thanks for all the feedback and the positive resonance. For the current bands, I've found a method to download them from apple.com in reasonable high quality (e.g. https://store.storeimages.cdn-apple...om/is/MWUW2?wid=5000&hei=5000&fmt=png&qlt=100). It seems that the old bands will really be the issue.

A list with the part numbers would help a lot. I will try to contact @InfiniteJoules within the next days for that.

See here a screenshot of an early alpha that I quickly hacked together today (containing dummy data):

View attachment 917448

I would love to help make this app and I’ve had this same idea for many years. But as an Apple employee we’re not allowed to create apps for the store.

You’re welcome to DM/PM your email address and I’ll send you and anyone else the spread sheet that I have.

I may also have saved up images for the watch bands. I’ll have to look through my files for those.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I wonder if you’d have any luck for older images by poking around in the newsroom section of Apple’s site, where they do press releases. They usually have decently high resolution images in there.

BTW, I imagine it would be pretty hard to get an iOS app approved that was full of Apple’s images of Apple’s watch bands.

toxtrepla

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2020
I wonder if you’d have any luck for older images by poking around in the newsroom section of Apple’s site, where they do press releases. They usually have decently high resolution images in there.

BTW, I imagine it would be pretty hard to get an iOS app approved that was full of Apple’s images of Apple’s watch bands.
Was thinking the same thing. The above beta screenshot looks GREAT but almost too Apple-esque for them to approve.

I suggested on the other thread maybe just a list with the names/year/season and boxes for Have/Want/Ignore. Even options like price paid would be awesome.

A lot of the video game and comic trackers allow the user to upload their own images into the app for the same copyright reasons. We could host a community repository of images (even low res is adequate) and allow people to add their own down the line.

Food for thought.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
I'm starting this thread here to discuss with you feature ideas but also to solve some challenges together with you like how to best get all those images from the watch bands that are not available anymore.
Archive photos seem to be pretty high res?

Just pulled these of Turquoise & Orange.
1590193291588.png
1590193439699.png

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Mactracker gets approved and that's full of photos/info about Apple products, so I assume this would be okay. Not sure though.

I had a similar idea but @emiaj pointed me to this thread - willing to help with anything to do with the app!

kevkmartin

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
I’d be happy to help with any Sport band photos needed.
[automerge]1590347012[/automerge]
Also, here's the list of models / colors I have compiled.

Model #Color
MX0M2AM/AAlaskan Blue
MLL12ZM/A Antique White
MM982AM/A Apricot
MPUV2AM/A Azure
MWUQ2AM/ABeryl
N/ABlack w/ SG Pin
MJ4Q2ZM/ABlack w/ SS Pin (1st Gen)
MTPL2AM/ABlack (2nd Gen)
MJ4R2ZM/A Blue (1st Gen)
MLDL2ZM/A Blue (2nd Gen)
MQUM2AM/A Blue Cobalt
MTPR2AM/ABlue Horizon
MXNX2AM/ACactus
MPUW2AM/A Camellia
MV6E2AM/ACanary Yellow
MWUW2AM/AClementine
N/ACloud
MNJA2AM/A Cocoa
MNJ82AM/A Concrete
MV6D2AM/ACornflower
N/ADark Gray
MQUQ2AM/A Dark Olive
MQUX2AM/A Dark Teal
MV6C2AM/ADelft Blue
MRGY2AM/ADenim Blue
MV782AM/ADragonfruit
MPUX2AM/A Flamingo
MQUV2AM/A Flash
MLJU2ZM/A Fog
MXNY2AM/AGrapefruit
MR272AM/A Gray
MJ4U2ZM/A Green (1st Gen)
N/AHermes Black
N/AHermes Orange
MTPU2AM/AHibiscus
MWUP2AM/AKhaki
MLL22ZM/A Lavender
MTPP2AM/ALavender Gray
MRGX2AM/ALemonade
MWUX2AM/ALemon Crème
N/ALight Gray (Titanium Exclusive)
MM9C2ZM/A Light Pink
MM9D2ZM/A Lilac
MRH62AM/AMarine Green
MTPV2AM/AMellow Yellow
MLL02ZM/A Midnight Blue
MM9A2AM/A Mint
MPUR2AM/A Mist Blue
MTPQ2AM/ANectarine
MNCJ2AM/A Ocean Blue
MLDK2ZM/A Orange
MTPT2AM/APacific Green
MV772AM/APapaya
MRH52AM/APeach
MPUU2AM/A Pebble
MWUV2AM/APine Green
MJ4T2ZM/A Pink
MNJ92AM/A Pink Sand (1st Gen)
MTP72AM/APink Sand (2nd Gen)
MPUY2AM/A Pollen
MWUN2AM/APomegranant
MLDJ2ZM/A (Product)Red (1st Gen)
MQXE2AM/AProduct Red (2nd Gen)
MRGW2AM/ARed Raspberry
MQUP2AM/ARose Red
MM972AM/A Royal Blue
MRH72AM/ASky Blue
MR282AM/A Soft White
N/ASoft White / Pebble
MV792AM/ASpearmint
MQUW2AM/ASpicy Orange
MLKY2ZM/A Stone (1st Gen)
MTPN2AM/AStone (2nd Gen)
MXP02AM/ASurf Blue
MLDT2ZM/A Turquoise
MQUN2AM/A Ultra Violet
MLDR2ZM/A Vintage Rose
MLDN2ZM/A Walnut
MJ4M2ZM/A White (1st Gen)
MJ4F2ZM/AWhite (2nd Gen)
MM992AM/A Yellow
[automerge]1590347045[/automerge]
And the Nike Sport bands:

Model #Color
MQ2T2AM/AAnthricite / Black
MRHN2AM/ABarely Rose / Pearl Pink
N/ABlack / Cool Gray
MV862AM/ABlack / Hyper Grape
MXRO2AM/ABlack / Lime Blast
MWUC2AM/A Black / Pink Blast
MQ2Q2AM/ABlack / Volt
MRHM2AM/ABlack / White
MQ2W2AM/ABlue Orbit / Gamma Blue
MRHP2AM/ACargo Khaki / Black
MTP32AM/ACelestial Teal / black
MWUD2AM/ADesert Sand / Black
N/AFlat Silver / Volt
N/AFlat Silver / White
N/ALight Bone / Black
MQ2V2AM/ALight Violet / White
MXR12AM/AMidnight Turquoise / Aurora Green
MQ2X2AM/AObsidian / Black
MTP42AM/AOlive Flack / Black
MQWQ2AM/APure Platinum / Black
MQ2R2AM/APure Platinum / White
MWUA2AM/ARoyal Pulse / Black
MTP22AM/ASmokey Mauve / Particle Beige
MV822AM/ASpruce Fog / Vintage Lichen
MV852AM/ATeal Tint / Tropical Twist
MW2U2AM/AViolet Dust / Plum Fog

Last edited:

SeppelHut

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Thanks for all your feedback! Also, the lists of SKUs help a lot to retrieve the images from apple.com
While there is a high possibility that Apple will reject this app when it contains original images, I just want to try how it would like with those nice images.

The release version of the app will probably not contain these images - but I already figured out a backup plan with more abstract representations of the bands.

I will give you an update here in the thread when the first alpha version will be available and will probably post a link so that everybody here can sign up via TestFlight.

Nimbus134

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2020
Thanks for all your feedback! Also, the lists of SKUs help a lot to retrieve the images from apple.com
While there is a high possibility that Apple will reject this app when it contains original images, I just want to try how it would like with those nice images.

The release version of the app will probably not contain these images - but I already figured out a backup plan with more abstract representations of the bands.

I will give you an update here in the thread when the first alpha version will be available and will probably post a link so that everybody here can sign up via TestFlight.

Exciting!

Fhotofaerie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2020
Ca

?

kevkmartin

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
For what it’s worth, that image url works for nearly ALL of the bands, regardless of age or rarity, all the way back to Gen 1.

I downloaded them all for safe keeping. Also helped confirm that I had the right Model Numbers!

toxtrepla

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2020

Awesome! TestFlight or AltStore sounds great. Can’t wait to test

FenC

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
For what it’s worth, that image url works for nearly ALL of the bands, regardless of age or rarity, all the way back to Gen 1.

I downloaded them all for safe keeping. Also helped confirm that I had the right Model Numbers!
Awesome!

Which image url is that? I currently have a tweaked version of @InfiniteJoules spreadsheet, but it could have images added to it also...

InfiniteJoules

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
Gotham City
I’d be happy to help with any Sport band photos needed.
[automerge]1590347012[/automerge]
Also, here's the list of models / colors I have compiled.

Model #Color
MX0M2AM/AAlaskan Blue
MLL12ZM/AAntique White
MM982AM/AApricot
MPUV2AM/AAzure
MWUQ2AM/ABeryl
N/ABlack w/ SG Pin
MJ4Q2ZM/ABlack w/ SS Pin (1st Gen)
MTPL2AM/ABlack (2nd Gen)
MJ4R2ZM/ABlue (1st Gen)
MLDL2ZM/ABlue (2nd Gen)
MQUM2AM/ABlue Cobalt
MTPR2AM/ABlue Horizon
MXNX2AM/ACactus
MPUW2AM/ACamellia
MV6E2AM/ACanary Yellow
MWUW2AM/AClementine
N/ACloud
MNJA2AM/ACocoa
MNJ82AM/AConcrete
MV6D2AM/ACornflower
N/ADark Gray
MQUQ2AM/ADark Olive
MQUX2AM/ADark Teal
MV6C2AM/ADelft Blue
MRGY2AM/ADenim Blue
MV782AM/ADragonfruit
MPUX2AM/AFlamingo
MQUV2AM/AFlash
MLJU2ZM/AFog
MXNY2AM/AGrapefruit
MR272AM/AGray
MJ4U2ZM/AGreen (1st Gen)
N/AHermes Black
N/AHermes Orange
MTPU2AM/AHibiscus
MWUP2AM/AKhaki
MLL22ZM/ALavender
MTPP2AM/ALavender Gray
MRGX2AM/ALemonade
MWUX2AM/ALemon Crème
N/ALight Gray (Titanium Exclusive)
MM9C2ZM/ALight Pink
MM9D2ZM/ALilac
MRH62AM/AMarine Green
MTPV2AM/AMellow Yellow
MLL02ZM/AMidnight Blue
MM9A2AM/AMint
MPUR2AM/AMist Blue
MTPQ2AM/ANectarine
MNCJ2AM/AOcean Blue
MLDK2ZM/AOrange
MTPT2AM/APacific Green
MV772AM/APapaya
MRH52AM/APeach
MPUU2AM/APebble
MWUV2AM/APine Green
MJ4T2ZM/APink
MNJ92AM/APink Sand (1st Gen)
MTP72AM/APink Sand (2nd Gen)
MPUY2AM/APollen
MWUN2AM/APomegranant
MLDJ2ZM/A(Product)Red (1st Gen)
MQXE2AM/AProduct Red (2nd Gen)
MRGW2AM/ARed Raspberry
MQUP2AM/ARose Red
MM972AM/ARoyal Blue
MRH72AM/ASky Blue
MR282AM/ASoft White
N/ASoft White / Pebble
MV792AM/ASpearmint
MQUW2AM/ASpicy Orange
MLKY2ZM/AStone (1st Gen)
MTPN2AM/AStone (2nd Gen)
MXP02AM/ASurf Blue
MLDT2ZM/ATurquoise
MQUN2AM/AUltra Violet
MLDR2ZM/AVintage Rose
MLDN2ZM/AWalnut
MJ4M2ZM/AWhite (1st Gen)
MJ4F2ZM/AWhite (2nd Gen)
MM992AM/AYellow
[automerge]1590347045[/automerge]
And the Nike Sport bands:

Model #Color
MQ2T2AM/AAnthricite / Black
MRHN2AM/ABarely Rose / Pearl Pink
N/ABlack / Cool Gray
MV862AM/ABlack / Hyper Grape
MXRO2AM/ABlack / Lime Blast
MWUC2AM/ABlack / Pink Blast
MQ2Q2AM/ABlack / Volt
MRHM2AM/ABlack / White
MQ2W2AM/ABlue Orbit / Gamma Blue
MRHP2AM/ACargo Khaki / Black
MTP32AM/ACelestial Teal / black
MWUD2AM/ADesert Sand / Black
N/AFlat Silver / Volt
N/AFlat Silver / White
N/ALight Bone / Black
MQ2V2AM/ALight Violet / White
MXR12AM/AMidnight Turquoise / Aurora Green
MQ2X2AM/AObsidian / Black
MTP42AM/AOlive Flack / Black
MQWQ2AM/APure Platinum / Black
MQ2R2AM/APure Platinum / White
MWUA2AM/ARoyal Pulse / Black
MTP22AM/ASmokey Mauve / Particle Beige
MV822AM/ASpruce Fog / Vintage Lichen
MV852AM/ATeal Tint / Tropical Twist
MW2U2AM/AViolet Dust / Plum Fog
Which size are these model #s for?
Each size has its own model/serial #.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.