Watch battery drain during non-use?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mikepepe86, Jun 10, 2015.

1. mikepepe86 macrumors regular

Quick question maybe you guys can help me with.

Today I took my watch off my charger this morning as usual but rushed out of the house and forgot to actually put it on (missed it all day! Good sign! Haha) so when I came home during lunch I noticed the battery was at 93% which seemed odd to me since it hadn't been used at all. The 'Usage' in the AW app read:

'Standy: 6hrs 47mins Usage: 56mins'

Is this something I should be concerned with? How was the usage an hour but I wasn't with it, nor even connected to my phone? Does it do periodic check-ins which counts as usage? Anyone have a similar experience or can help me understand this? Thank you!

2. gregsapphire macrumors member

3. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

I'm interested in what comes of this. I have similar issues. Took watch off charger at 6am and got to the office at 9. Didn't really "use" the watch as I was bringing he kids to school and driving to work. I was down to 85% with over an hour of usage with 2 hrs standby.

I wiped and setup the watch as new this afternoon. Didn't install any 3rd party apps for now and will see if that helps. Then start loading apps if battery life seems better.

4. gregsapphire macrumors member

5. gregsapphire macrumors member

I have Watch OS 2 beta installed. Battery life has been terrible and I haven't really used my watch today either.

6. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Happens to me as well. I wonder if its the bluetooth on the watch that keeps looking for a connection? I do lose about the same amount of battery life like OP posted here. I do NOT have the Wos2 beta installed.

7. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

No, just 1.01

8. mikepepe86 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope just 1.01 installed. Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Wondering if it's something I should wipe my watch and start it over; or if it every so often looks for Bluetooth connectivity and activates usage.

Having said that in the last 7 hours since actually getting it at lunch, it's only down to 63% (only 30% down from when I got it from resting position) wth 13.5hrs of standby and 3hrs of usage (2hrs up from the 1hr of wasted usage I found it on); which seems about right, probably.

So is it possibly an issue while it's not connected to Bluetooth? My battery life overall seems about in line with everyone. i.e. 7-ish hours of Usage, 20-ish hours of Standy.

9. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I fully charge my watch, and then wear it to sleep last night. This morning, I use the watch to check all the notification and email etc, and then make the following screen capture.

As you can see, the watch use around 2% of battery per hour. So, IMO, only 7% for 6+ hours in your case is actually very reasonable.

Also, I am pretty sure my actual usage is less than 1:15. I don't know how it counts, may be some background activity also count as usage.

IMG_1900.jpg IMG_1899.jpg

10. mikepepe86 thread starter macrumors regular

Wanted to reopen this thread for another oddity I found...took my watch off the charger this morning and while I was getting ready, making calls, etc it sat off the charger with no use of about an hour and a half.

Picked it up battery is at 95% (not bad I guess) but the AW app says 45mins of usage during a 90min period of inactivity. I can't seem to figure this out. Why is the usage SO high during times of inactivity?

11. bushman4 macrumors 68000

The wstch is trying to make a Bluetooth connection using power. Background activity such as weather on your watch face also take power.