Watch battery drainage?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by heyyitssusan, Jul 11, 2015.

1. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

I normally can get through a day with my watch averaging around 30-50%. But I've noticed this past week there were a day or two where it's drained excessively including today. My watch is now at 32% and I had to put it on power saving mode. Haven't done anything different to it at all. What are my best options now? Resetting it and starting as new? What could be causing this?

2. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

That has happened to me and all I did was shut the watch completely off and then back on and all was well. You are definitely not the first but most have been able to fix by shutting off and back on. Also, check on the Apple Watch App to check the usage. Maybe you have an excessive amount of usage that you are certain you didn't do and that could be a bad app or something else that no one can explain.

Most of the time, a cold boot fixes the problem, removing some third party apps and adding back to see if one in particular is causing the problem. Hopefully you won't have to do more but there are plenty of posts even as recent as yesterday.

A month or so ago, I posted that my watch was about 90% and after mowing the lawn it was at 20% and I didn't know why. I charged back up and it was going down fast again so I cold booted and it was back to normal.

I now watch daily for suspicious drain and end up cold booting every few days just "because".

3. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the tip! Everything looks fine in usage. My standby time is 7 hours and 10 mins and my usage is like 6 hours.. I turneed it off and on and now the battery is at 27%. Weird.

4. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

6 hours of usage is a lot and does make me think something just went haywire. Hopefully the reboot fixed the problem. I guess you will know if the last 27% goes fast or not. There is also someone who just had the same thing with 5+ hours of usage after a short period of time and they did a little more work to fix. Hopefully you can be like me and just shut off/on to fix the problem. It is version one with version one watch apps basically. There could be some excess communication I suppose.

You typically see usage of 5-6 hours and standby of 12 hours (for example) - yours is almost one to one and maybe you just use it a lot. :) If I was at 27% at the end of the day, I would expect about 7 hours of usage.

Good luck! Let us know if this is all it took to fix otherwise you may have to uninstall apps and cold boot again.