Watch Brightness

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bueller1, Jun 9, 2015.

1. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Is it just me or is full brightness not really all that bright?

2. bueller1 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It's not very bright even at full brightness. It can be tough to see outdoors.

4. HowlinAl macrumors regular

HowlinAl

Outdoors yesterday, around dusk, The face I was using (brown chrono) was very difficult to read. The thin white hands were almost invisible to these old eyes. Had to swap to Utility, which was very readable.

Yes, even at the brightest setting, the watch isn't all that bright.

Attached Files:

5. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I haven't had issue with the brightness of the Watch. Even in full sun I was able to see it clearly.

6. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Use stock brightness setting. No problem on reading the watch outdoor. However, I live in Hong Kong, we seldom see the blue sky here (due to air pollution), that may be the reason why I can read it easily :D

7. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Does it auto adjust to light settings? Seems like if I'm in a dark room, the watch gets dim. Walk into a well lit room area, it get much brighter. I have my phone set on half brightness and the check mark for "auto-adjust" is off.

8. flur macrumors 68000

This is me also, and my watch is set on the middle setting.

I use a stripped down version of the Utility face - maybe that's a factor? But I don't have trouble reading notifications either.

9. jayiw macrumors regular

I agree it's not very bright even at full brightness. I would bet that it has the capability to be brighter and maybe on a future update they'll allow for a brighter full setting once they can conserve battery life better. Apple really needs to do something with that because there seem to be too many important sacrifices to conserve battery... Brightness, Screen Timeout, Full Screen Color/Non Black Background Watchfaces, 'Speaking' Siri, etc.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I've heard that is matters whether its Sapphire or glass.

11. papbot macrumors 6502

Yes it auto adjusts. And I find it a little easier to read in direct sunlight than my phone. And I'm usually wearing sunglasses when I'm looking at it. It's not a Pebble but it is readable. If you can see your phone in direct sunlight you won't have a problem with the watch.

One thing that can be done to make the watch's notifications easier to read and save a little battery life is turn on Reduce Transparency. I've done that and it has really made everything much more legible.

12. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

13. redman042 macrumors 68020

I owned a glass one (SGS) for two weeks, then returned for a sapphire one (SS). No complaints here. Yes the sapphire is more reflective, and perhaps the display slightly less bright, but it's a small difference. I'll gladly take the glossiness of the sapphire over the less reflective ion-x specifically because this is a watch not a phone. On a phone you are reading web pages and emails and reflections would get annoying. On a watch, you are just glancing, and IMO the glossiness of the sapphire just makes it a much sharper looking watch (along with the shiny stainless). Readability isn't significantly impacted and I really dig the look, feel, and durability of the sapphire.

14. iEric007 macrumors regular

iEric007

I am wondering, has anyone noticed a difference in battery life when having full brightness vs the default (mid brightness)?

15. ATS macrumors regular

ATS

I just got my watch last night. This information was very helpful. Much appreciated.

16. HowlinAl macrumors regular

HowlinAl

I'm seeing no evidence that the display brightness auto adjusts, despite claims to the contrary.

17. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

Really? I see it all the time. But then I turned it down to lowest level, and never have any issues, even in full sunlight. So it is possible if turned up high it does less scaling up and down.

18. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

You can see it when the watch is half-covered by your sleeve and then turn the wrist. The display is darker then and lightens up when you move up the sleeve.

19. HowlinAl macrumors regular

HowlinAl

That must be it. I've got my brightness cranked up to high and can't notice a difference.

20. redman042 macrumors 68020

Increasing the brightness only increases the minimum level. The sensor still does its work. I have not noticed any impact to battery life. I'm sure there's some, but not enough to matter.

21. bueller1 thread starter macrumors 6502

After a 10 hour day at the office I got home with 54%.

22. bueller1 thread starter macrumors 6502

23. Mr. Y macrumors regular

What version? I have the Space Grey Sport and I can see clearly in full sun and I keep it at less than full brightness.

24. HowlinAl macrumors regular

HowlinAl

I'd love to see a side-by-side to see if there's any real difference between the display of the Sport and the SS.

25. flur macrumors 68000

There might be in some light conditions. In the Apple store, there's no distinguishable difference, either of brightness or glare.