Watch Calibration - Still not backed up?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Macwick, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Macwick macrumors regular

When you first set up your Apple Watch, it needs to be calibrated with an outdoor run (or walk) before it can accurately measure indoor workouts (i.e. running on the treadmill).

I never run outside, but in order to get accurate measurements for my regular treadmill workouts I went for an outdoor run when I initially purchased my Apple Watch. After that it was calibrated and my indoor runs were measured accurately. Fantastic.

But then I discovered an annoying problem. Whenever you restore your watch from a backup or pair it with a new phone, that calibration data is lost. This has happened to me 3-4 times since I got my Apple Watch, and every time I've been forced to go for an outside run to re-calibrate. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but 1) I just generally hate running outdoors and 2) it's annoying to me that I'm forced to do this every time I restore my Apple Watch.

Question - does anyone know if this calibration data is now backed up with WatchOS 2.0? It seems like such a trivial thing to fix.

I'm thinking of trading up to an iPhone 6s, but this one issue is literally holding me back. I don't want to have to re-calibrate my watch yet again when I get the new phone.

2. comics addict macrumors 6502a

According to apple's updated support article for watchOS 2 it should https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204518 but I lost all my calibration data when I restored my Apple Watch when moving over to my iPhone 6s yesterday...

3. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I know you need to do an encrypted backup/restore in order to get all the health data, just don't know if the same holds true for calibration. Encrypted backups include passwords, health and HomeKit data so that might be your problem. Are you sure you did a backup with the Encrypt iPhone backup turned on and then pick this for your restore backup?

If Apple says it works, my guess is you didn't encrypt your backup. Just a guess as I restored from a backup and my calibration remained the same according to my watch and treadmill.

I hope that was the problem for you two...

4. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I always backup encrypted via iTunes and I didn't have my calibration data when I paired my Apple Watch to my iPhone 6s.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

While it doesn't matter to me (I run outside with my iPhone) I think the OP is correct. I believe the calibration is not part of the backup file and must be redone anytime you setup again. I vaguely remember reading this somewhere in Apple's info.

6. comics addict macrumors 6502a

It was true for watchOS 1.0.1 but according to apple's updated support article regarding Apple Watch backups for watchOS to that should no longer be the case. Look at my previous post where I posted the link to it. It's not working it's advertise at least so far in my experience.

7. iVegas macrumors 6502

iVegas

I also restored from an encrypted iTunes backup and had to recalibrate the watch. A senior tech support rep at Apple Care told me it was supposed to restore calibration settings, too. Not a huge deal but it would be nice if it did carry over.

8. comics addict macrumors 6502a

That would take what for me is a huge painpoint when restoring my phone/watch. Hopefully it will be fixed in a upcoming update.