watch can measure running distance

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by slenpree, Nov 27, 2014.

1. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

I've been told from a very reliable source that the watch will be able to measure approx. walking/running distance (although not location - like on a map). The way this works is the steps tracking via the iPhone's M8 is calibrated against the GPS of the phone to building a walking distance figure as seen in the health app and this calibration is sync'd to the watch every so often.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has stated it can measure distance but you'll need to use the iPhone if you wish to map/record your run (or walk).

My MS Band has a GPS and can track my distance with the GPS or without. If without, it some how computes the steps. I assume the apple watch will do the same.

Why use the watch for running when you have to include your iPhone on the run - seems silly to me.

3. slenpree thread starter macrumors 6502a

slenpree

what i meant was that the watch can measure distance without the iPhone, it only requires the iPhone to plot the run on a map.

4. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

It will use steps to try to calculate distance. I would suspect it will be about as accurate as tracking calories burnt without using heart rate. In other words, not accurate.

5. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Yes, you will get the distance, pace, and calories burned. All the things Strava gave me on iPhone minus route. I can live with that. How accurate it is? I'll plan to measure it myself. :)

6. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

A better way to say it might be:

The aWatch App will estimate your distance/steps (since you can't measure with an accelerometer).

With the iPhone paired you can measure your distance.

If the aWatch/App allows you to calibrate the accelerometer to your stride length and you run at a consistent pace plus consistent arm movement you MAY get fairly accurate results. Just how far off you are willing to accept may be a determining factor. Also Apple may not offer calibration which could then be more of a 'crapshoot' on accuracy.

7. slenpree thread starter macrumors 6502a

slenpree

Yes. In a nutshell the iphone learns your average stride and this gets sync'd to the watch in order to build an estimate distance when working out without the phone.

8. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

In running your speed is determined by your stride length (walking you generally increase your cadence so not a problem). So as you speed up your steps per mile decreases. This is the main problem with estamatiing running distance using accelerometers.

9. slenpree thread starter macrumors 6502a

slenpree

Looks like the info I received was correct! According to the workout app guided tour video, the watch is calibrated using the GPS in the phone.