WATCH can read blood oxygen levels

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by zaneliu94, Apr 24, 2015.

1. zaneliu94 macrumors regular

iFixit revealed that the heart rate sensor is actually a plethysmograph that can measure your blood oxygen level. That's amazing that this watch has prebuilt sensors that can do more than just heart rate. It leaves hope for future software upgrades.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+Teardown/40655

Attached Files:

2. ilovemyibook macrumors 6502

Hopefully the FDA allows this. I think I remember reading something about the FDA being less strict on certain things pertaining to smart watches. I could be mistaken, though.

3. zaneliu94 thread starter macrumors regular

There was an article stating that the FDA would take a step back and not regulate fitness trackers. So as long as Apple doesn't attempt to prescribe conditions and simply tries to provide a rough estimate of these values, they should be fine

4. Aurial macrumors 6502

They'll probably make that a feature of the next Apple Watch. For those owning the Apple Watch 1 it'll never be activated.

5. H3rman macrumors 6502

If I'm not mistaken these devices can also keep check on your blood sugar for diabetics, but the FDA refused to approve it, so while the watches hardware is physically capable of additional things, they are not legally allowed to implement these additional features (yet).

6. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Checking heart rate is one thing. I don't know if the FDA would allow them to measure spo2 without regulation. Anybody know of any other fitness trackers that measure spo2?

7. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

would be very interesting if they will allow this and just a software update is all thats needed to turn it on.

8. iregret macrumors 6502a

I'm not a doctor. What value is knowing blood oxygen levels? Can the watch tell me how drunk I am? If so, I'm writing an app that texts all my favorites my drunk status! LOL:cool:

9. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

10. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

This will be huge for asthmatics. We're in the hospital yearly with our son who has severe asthma. When it's bad and nebulizing isn't getting it done, his O2 levels drop off and it's check-in at this hospital time for him. Having a reliable O2 sensor immediately at hand when he starts hacking and wheezing will be great.

11. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I have one that sends spo2 and heart rate data to my iPhone. Bought it at the Apple Store a year ago.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

13. TigerStephie macrumors regular

This is so awesome! I have been toying with the idea of getting a monitor just to see during running but all the monitors would be a pain to use while running so I have held off. I hope apple allows us to see this data soon!