Watch charging issue

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by LD Curb, May 19, 2015.

1. LD Curb macrumors regular

LD Curb

I put the charger on my watch last night and woke up to almost 0% battery and a message that [paraphrasing] "The Apple watch is not supported by this device" .. I bought the charger from Apple online as an extra, so i could keep the other one in my purse for an emergency.

Also, both the watch and charging disk were VERY hot this morning. I had plugged the USB portion directly in to a power strip that has a USB port.

This morning I have it charging with the charger that came with it and it is plugged in to the Apple "piece" and then in to an electrical outlet. It seems to be charging OK right now.

I will call Apple later when I have time but does anyone know what's going on! :eek:

2. papbot macrumors 6502

Any charger that works with an iPad or iPhone will work. I'd be careful of a powerstrip, it might be ok but I wouldn't risk it with my Apple watch. I do have an iHome radio/speaker dock that has both a lightening connecter and a separate usb port. I connect my phone to the lightening adapter and the watch charging cable to the usb port and both charge properly without issue. Other than this though I'd only use the standard chargers.

3. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I had a similar experience last night. When I was connecting it to the charger last night I was comparing magnet strength with my wife's 38mm sport watch... hers didn't seem to stick to the charger as well as mine, so mine was connected and disconnected several times in quick succession as I tried to shake and pull it off the charger to see how strong the connection was. After a few attempts I just left it on the charger to charge overnight. In the morning I pulled it off of the charger and discovered it was quite warm. I checked the battery status and it had only 15% (It was around 40% when I had plugged it in last night).

I figured it was related to all the connecting and disconnecting, so I grabbed the charger and plugged it in to the car while I drove my daughter to school. When we got there (about a 20 or 30 minute drive) I checked again and the watch was very hot again and this time it was showing only an 8% charge. I was starting to get a bit worried, but I power cycled the watch and the plugged it in again for the ride home. This time it was up to 15 or 20% by the time I got home. I've left it plugged in since then and it's above 50% now.

I didn't notice any text about it being incompatible with the charger, but otherwise the symptoms seem very similar to yours. In my case, though, I suspect the problem was caused by repeatedly connecting and disconnecting the charger.