Watch completely inaccurate?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by WynWins, Dec 17, 2016.

1. WynWins macrumors newbie

WynWins

My Apple Watch Series 2 from day one has been malfunctioning when it comes to calories/steps. It constantly gives me updates with having burned like 200+ calories daily as well as consistently hitting my exercise goal of 30 minutes and saying I've walked like 1-3 miles yet I'm an extremely inactive person. The standing goal is the only thing it seems to get right since my job requires me to stand the majority of the day. Is there some known issue with this and a fix to it?

2. jakerichva Suspended

If, as you say, you are extremely inactive, the watch will be more sensitive to changes in that inactivity. Anything that elevates your heart rate may well trigger credit for "exercise" because you don't do much. So if you are extremely inactive, almost any activity will trigger an increase in your heart rate, so the watch sees that as "exercise." And if you are moving your hands in your job, you may get credit for "steps" because the watch is looking for a certain kind of motion associated with walking. It's pretty hard NOT to walk 1-3 miles in any day. Even on my most lethargic day spent on the couch watching TV (usually Sunday afternoons), I still get about one mile of steps in just around the house. And 200 calories is not much to get credit for, either, if your hands move in your job.

So, it doesn't sound like it is malfunctioning to me. But if you think it is, take it to an Apple store and have the Genius look at it. They don't have much testing capability in the store, but maybe they can simulate something to see the the sensors are working properly for you.

3. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

If you're standing most of the day are you not taking steps at all?

4. WynWins thread starter macrumors newbie

WynWins

Ah ok that makes a bit of sense now. I stand all day and tend to walk around the store often but I didn't think that would turn out to be anything close to 3 miles. Though with the amount of circles I make I guess it could be. I do also tend to swing my arms while standing still which if the watch registers as activity would be why it thinks I burn that many calories. It tends to say my RHR is around 90-100 too.