Watch contains port similar to Lightning connector

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Hmm...very interesting. I'm curious what the small design changes are and if they'll be noticible. And now we know where the "assembled in China verbiage goes. Will be interesting to see if that's on every watch or just certain models.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/05/would-you-buy-a-smart-band-for-an-apple-watch/

Would you shell out money for a ‘smart’ accessory band for an Apple Watch that added additional capabilities? More battery life, perhaps?

The reason I ask is that the Apple Watch has a port that the company has yet to show off. It’s being used for diagnostics and direct access to the Watch operating system, but it’s feasible that could be used to connect accessories in the future.

The port has a 6-dot brass contact array inside the groove for the ‘bottom’ strap connector slot. Several sources have confirmed its existence and placement to me. It is very similar to the connector for the Lightning connector in iPhones, as that connector currently only uses 6 of its 8 available pins. Apple recently began opening up the Lightning port for use by third parties. A source says that this port is currently for diagnostic purposes only — but that there is nothing preventing it from being a connection port for future accessories.
While the port is on watches that are being used by Apple employees currently — there is always a possibility that the Watch version that ships to consumers won’t have this port at all (the Watch’s design has changed in small ways over the months since its announcement). There is also absolutely no guarantee that the port will ever be used for anything but diagnostics. But it’s still interesting that it exists — and to think about the possibilities.

If you’re curious, the other slot has “Assembled in China – Designed by Apple in California” engraved inside.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Hmm...very interesting. I'm curious what the small design changes are and if they'll be noticible. And now we know where the "assembled in China verbiage goes. Will be interesting to see if that's on every watch or just certain models.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/05/would-you-buy-a-smart-band-for-an-apple-watch/
Indeed. I am totally over with the prices forum activities. This is the first thing I asked in this sub-forum, if I remember correctly, where were/will the prototypes and the production AW will be made.

We have a few days to dissect this aspect. :D It is all over but the shouting. Where else can they make millions of AW? We will know for sure (exactly which facility, lol) or get some leaks later this month.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Indeed. I am totally over with the prices forum activities. This is the first thing I asked in this sub-forum, if I remember correctly, where were/will the prototypes and the production AW will be made.

We have a few days to dissect this aspect. :D It is all over but the shouting. Where else can they make millions of AW? We will know for sure (exactly which facility, lol) or get some leaks later this month.
Well it says assembled in China, not made in China so it's possible some of the bands are made elsewhere, or not all models are assembled in China. I'm sure the volume of Edition watches will be low enough and Apple can charge a higher price if they're not assembled in China.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
I was thinking the bands could be anywhere. Maybe even mostly in Europe. How about the entire AW case itself? I think that's it! Except for the bands, everything else will be made or delivered then, yeah, assembled & packaged in China.