Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Hi ,

I have a Macbook Pro connected to a nice 24" screen. I want to be able to watch all the channels I get with my VirginMedia TV package on my monitor.

The way I see it there are 2 ways.

1. Connect the digital box I got from Virgin to the computer via the aerial out on the back of the box

2. Somehow skip the digital box I got from Virgin and let some other device handle channels.

Does anyone know if t his is possible? I did this years ago on a PC using a Hauppagge TV Card and using method 1 - and the picture quality wasn't great.

Thanks

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
Hi ,

I have a Macbook Pro connected to a nice 24" screen. I want to be able to watch all the channels I get with my VirginMedia TV package on my monitor.

The way I see it there are 2 ways.

1. Connect the digital box I got from Virgin to the computer via the aerial out on the back of the box

2. Somehow skip the digital box I got from Virgin and let some other device handle channels.

Does anyone know if t his is possible? I did this years ago on a PC using a Hauppagge TV Card and using method 1 - and the picture quality wasn't great.

Thanks

1 - you would need a tvinput/capture card on the pc
2- the cable box has a decoder, you cannot skip this directly to your PC.

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
You'll get great results with any of the products from Elgato's EyeTV range. As has been posted above, you'll need a TV card and a digital decoder. The EyeTV will act as a TV card (among other things) and your Virgin Media box is a decoder.

mkgm1

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2007
What 24" monitor do you have? I just got a Dell 2407wfp, and it's got loads of inputs (e.g. component, composite, s-videom, vga & dvi), and I know with the right connectors & converters, I could hook it up to a Freeview box.

thefoo

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
Stuppy - I have an NTL box with a SCART connection. I watch on my Mac exclusively due to space limitations (before on my Mac Mini, now MBP). Here's how I do it.

I have a SCART lead, it goes into the back of a Keene Electronics Scart to S-Video converter. S-Video has a higher quality than RF and allows for stereo sound. The box is a small black box with it's own power supply and cost about £70 so wasn't cheap. I can't find it on their web site now so may be they replaced it with something simpler. They are experts so call them for advice!

Anyway, S-Video+L/R Audio into an Elgato EyeTV EZ which in turn connects via USB. EyeTV software tunes into the S-Video channel and you use your cable remote to change the channels. It works.

Something to mention: if you want to play games from a console, ensure you get a "straight-through" Elgato box. If you get one with a video recorder or MPEG encoder it may introduce latency. The EyeTV EZ passes the TV signal through uncompressed to the Mac so no delay but does mean it's slower to record.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.