Watch does not feel as popular

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thefredelement, Apr 10, 2015.

1. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Not saying it's a bad thing but literally no one in my social circles are aware of the Apple watch, my girlfriend and I each ordered one at launch and are excited to receive them.

It's just a slightly weird feeling, usually on days like this my Twitter / Facebook / relatives messaging me, etc. are all about the new iPhone (not so much the iPad recently).

Actually, it feels more like an iPad launch than an iPhone launch, which is weird considering the extremely limited supply, which isn't like recent iPad launch days at all.

I think us here at MR are the exception, so how about your social circles? Does it seems as popular?

2. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Nothing is as popular as a phone, everyone has to have a phone, but apple watch is just an accessory and some people don't find it as important to own.

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Judging by the number of posts on Instagram, I'd say pretty darn popular.

4. thefredelement thread starter macrumors 65816

thefredelement

You know, I thought that too but I guess not on my Insta lol, maybe I'm following the wrong people!

5. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

I agree with you. Out of everyone I have talked to no one has indicated an interest in purchasing the watch. Also, with the iPhones they are subsidized so it is easier to handle a $199 cost to get a new phone versus $349-$399 minimum just for a watch.

I just think Apple isn't producing the number of watches that are on the same level as the iPhone.

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Nothing is as popular as the iPhone. And in general Apple products don't get really popular until the second version. Which makes sense the first version is for early adopters/believers.

7. D28Z98 macrumors member

I would agree with this. I don't personally know anyone who is pre-ordering today. I know a LOT of Apple people and they'd usually all be asking me my thoughts and if I'm going to order, etc. But that just hasn't happened with this release.

FWIW I ordered two at 4:30AM (central time) and the shipping says they're coming in June.

8. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Potential market is inherently self-limiting due to iPhone 5/6 requirement.

I agree, though. I am the only person in my peer/work group buying one (that I know of).

That said, I was the only person in my peer/work group buying the original iPad. Until about a week after launch, heh.

9. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

I was the only person I knew who got a first-generation iPad on launch day. Don't think too much into it.

10. slicecom macrumors 68020

Of course it's nowhere near as popular as iPhone 6, but nothing in the world is, tech product wise. The iPhone to compare its sales to would be the original iPhone.