Watch doesn't monitor heart rate

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ayasinsk, Nov 6, 2016.

1. ayasinsk macrumors regular

I have Apple Watch series 0 and I noticed it doesn't monitor my heart rate. If I start exercise app or heart rate app watch reads heart rate no problem. However when I open my health app it only shows heart rate readings from when I manually made my watch read my pulse. It doesn't show heart rate readings through out the day. I have both heart rate and fitness tracking enabled. I'm running latest 3.1 and have tried unparing my watch. Anyone experienced this problem or know of a sultion?

2. consultant_on_journey macrumors regular

Did you configure it in Apple Watch app. No power saving mode?

3. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean configure in Apple Watch app? What's there to configure? No power savings mode.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You really need to ready to online manual.

5. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

unnamed.png

I just opened the Health App and I see my reading from 7AM and I was just drinking my coffee. It's under Vitals. Further, it shows the range of my heart rate from lowest to highest every day.

6. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

Great suggestion.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2016 ---
    I can see my heart rate under vitals as well, but it only shows readings when I manually make my watch read my hart rate. I have both hart rate and fitness tracking enabled.

IMG_2383.PNG IMG_2384.PNG

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

How long have you had your watch? Was it always like this, or did it stop reading your heart rate recently?

When not actively measuring your heart rate (like when you start it measuring manually or when you run workout app), the watch tries to measure your heart rate once every ten minutes. However, if you are moving too much, it can't take your heart rate. So wear it while sitting still, or maybe wear it while sleeping. If it still doesn't record any heart rate, contact Apple, it may be a hardware defect.

8. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

I bought it on craigslist over a month ago. This watch was bought last August so 1 year Apple warranty is over. When I purchased this watch I had heart rate disabled to save on battery. But recently got curious about using heart rate monitor and that's when I noticed these issues. I wore watch to bed plenty of times, just doesn't read heart rate. I also do not get stand up reminders or breath reminders, even though I have all of them enabled. Watch does track my activity no problem.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Weird. Might be worth contacting Apple to see if you can confirm it's a hardware problem. With other devices, Apple would do diagnostics for free even if it's out of warranty. Not sure if the same is true with watches, but shouldn't hurt to ask.

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The watch is supposed to take a reading every 10 minutes or so, provided you aren't moving.

So perhaps you move around too much, or are moving at the exact moments when the watch is about to take a reading. Both are unlikely, so maybe there's something wrong with the watch.

I'd probably do a reboot and if that doesn't solve it, take it to an apple store to see if they can figure it out.