Watch draining my iPhone battery

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by hypertc13, May 28, 2015.

1. hypertc13 macrumors regular

I just received my watch yesterday. I took my watch and phone off the charger at 6 a.m. I started work at 7 and had my phone in my pocket or at my desk most. When I got to work at 7 my phone had 98% battery left. I went to look at my phone at 11 a.m and battery was all the way down to 2% so I looked at the battery usage to see what was killing my battery and it showed "messages" using 60% of the battery. I replied to one text in that time period. Didn't even use my phone during that 4 hour span.

Anyone have any idea why this is killing my phone battery? Thanks in advance

2. scholls22 macrumors member

Similar issues with me. Its in numerous threads today with people having battery issues. I took my watch and phone to apple yesterday. They can't figure it out.

3. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

Strange. Hopefully its a simple fix. I was quite irritated by it. Whats the point of having the watch if my phone dies within 5 hours without even using it. Making the apple watch a very expensive dumb watch

4. papbot macrumors 6502

It won't hurt anything to do a hard shut down using both buttons on both the phone and the watch. If you just got the watch I would wait a few days, it takes a little while for all the syncing to complete. After about 4 days I had no noticeable phone battery drain, and the watch battery life improved as well.

5. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I'm at 40% after 11 hours of heavy use on my phone with the watch connected. Watch is at 66%.

Make sure the only apps you have on the watch are apple ones and make sure your phone isn't using location services. It shouldn't hurt your battery much at all.

6. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

I have 3rd party apps on the watch and I used location services on the phone. The watch has NOT impacted by iPhone 6+ battery usage in any way.

7. scholls22 macrumors member

Okay, I think I have found a fix somewhat. I did several things and not sure which one worked 100%. I did a system restore of both devices and then re-paired. What I think did the trick was the following. I went into the watch settings and then to notifications..Every single app on my iPhone 6 was checked to send notifications to the iPhone which I think was constantly interacting with the phone. I would guess that the more apps you have on your phone, the quicker the battery dies. I unchecked about 95% of the apps and I have been getting way better battery life.

Also, my standby and usage times are starting to have a better spread than I did yesterday. My phone has been off of the charger for an hour and I am still at 100%, which for the last few days I would have been down to 90 already.

Try disabling the notifications and see if that helps!!!!

8. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I'm not saying not to use them. It's the easiest way to find the culprit. I had to do this to prevent bad drain. One of the apps caused my battery to drop 10% in 20 minutes of not doing anything at all. There was also a certain app that was trying to use my phones gps 100% of the time which kills a battery.