Watch DVR Using iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imac2015, Mar 23, 2015.

1. imac2015 macrumors newbie

I have a 2013 iMac and would like to be able to hook it up to a DVR cable receiver (Time Warner Cable -- NYC). I'm not looking to record television programs on my iMac since I already have a DVR cable receiver -- I just want the iMac to be able to show live programs on it as if it were a regular TV hooked up to a cable receiver .
    There are two issues that I see --
    1. Being able to hook it up as the DVR cable box uses HDMI, and my iMac only has USB and Thunderbolt inputs.
    2. What program I would have to have to have to allow the output of the cable receiver to show on the iMac.
    Thanks.

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Without additional hardware you cannot use your iMac to watch your cable TV shows.

3. imac2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Most cable TV in the US is encrypted, so you need something that can process the signal. Some DVRs and such that work with the particular service have cablecards (which is used to verify the decoding) and maybe features to beam to your iMac. I think some TiVos can do this. Or Slingbox.

Your iMac isn't a monitor, so you can't plug it into the HDMI port as one (some Macs can use iMacs as monitors, but only Macs). The DVR-to-Mac solutions usually involve some sort of streaming over your local ethernet or wifi network, not video cables.

But since internet TV has become more prevalent, these solutions are falling away. Time Warner, for instance, has a streaming feature you should be able to use without any hardware, just a fastish internet connection. Rather than stream from a box in your home, it streams from the internet. But not all programs may be available.

5. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Does TW let you watch Live TV on a web browser? I have Comcast and I can watch Live TV and the DVR recordings on my MBP.

7. jmantn macrumors 6502

Dish Network's Hopper with Sling makes this a reality on any web enabled device.

8. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Up until 2 weeks ago I would have recommended a slingbox, the greed of Sling Media is beyond belief.

Paid ads with the desktop app, so appalling, they no longer seem to care about their customers.

Check out the community forums to see the uproar :-

https://community.slingbox.com/welcome