Watch ESPN and Apple TV 3

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Hookemfins, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Just bought ATV 3. When I set up the watch espn app, it activates but when I go to play a feed I see unable to play video. I have no problems streaming from the iPad app just not on ATV 3.

Am I missing a step to activate? Shouldn't it ask me for my user name and password? Uverse is setup for espn streaming.

Thanks

2. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

It should tell you to go to a website, sign in, and then enter an activation code. You must have U-200 or higher to be able to watch most of the content on the ATV, below U-200 you will only be able to play some things.

If you are all ready signed in and it is still giving you errors, there is an option near the top of the screen to sign out. You should then be able to reactivate it with your account.

3. Hookemfins thread starter macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Have the U450 package. I enter the code says I you are activated but video won't play. Nowhere in the activation process am I asked for my user ID or Password. And still doesn't explain why it works from my iPad. One if the reasons I got ATV was to watch the Longhorn Network and the game Saturday night.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

(Equally-frustrated) Comcast user here!:)

I'm not sure you're "signing in" correctly. My sis is on U-Verse in Tampa and I got to walk her through it a couple of months ago.

In the Watch ESPN ATV app, navigate to the Settings menu, and you should see that you're signed in as AT&T U-Verse (or something similar - I see Comcast XFINITY on my ATV). If not, you're not doing something correctly.

The sign-in for the Watch ESPN ATV app for my sis and I was to navigate to our cable portal and sign in. While you're signed in to your cable account, launch the ATV app, navigate to the Settings menu and choose the "Verify your TV Provider" option, then choose the first option (AT&T U-verse). While you're signed into your U-Verse account and in the same browser, navigate to that URL on the ATV screen and follow those instructions - you may need to wait a few minutes before being informed of the activation.

And, don't fret too much just yet. I'm on Comcast - which isn't approved for the Longhorn Network, but it's showing up on my ATV. And, when the SEC and Longhorn Networks were added - I didn't see them for a few days, and only after I signed out and back in again. Cheers. And, Hook'em Horns!

5. cbdilger macrumors newbie

First Row >>>>> ESPN3

Seriously. I pay way more than I want to every month for subscriptions to food shows and Kardashiacyruses and a bunch of other crap bundled with the two or three channels I actually want to watch (SEC Network, etc). And despite that, authentication fails repeatedly, quality is poor, etc. It's much easier to just go to First Row and watch whatever you want and not deal with the "support" droids who ask you please to reboot your modem I can wait sir while you do it and then offer to send a tech out four Thursdays from now (when you are at work).

Happy college football season!
    Let the long dark times of no sports be vanquished.

6. Hookemfins thread starter macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Thanks. Did it step by step to without success. Everything says I'm active but nothing plays. Uverse has had the Longhorn Network for a year now.

I'll call Uverse tomorrow but I'm sure I'll get the run around. Hook 'Em.

7. Hookemfins thread starter macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

I at least understand what the delima is with viewing Watch ESPN on ATV.

I am using my brothers login info as he has Uverse TV and I have Uverse internet.

When I try to validate the ATV, it picks up on my internet connection and not allow me to enter any other Uverse login info.

By trying yo validate the ATV it messed up my iPads connection to ESPN. I went to his house to re-establish ESPN. I noticed the same problem with Fox Sports Go app.

Anyone know away to override this problem?

8. campyguy macrumors 68040

Three suggestions, none of which are perfect. I'm a big professional cycling fan - road and cyclocross - and have to deal with getting around the blocking that US ISPs and Comcast do; Comcast doesn't carry the full version of Universal Sports and Eurosport carries so much more cycling and soccer - there's sites that get blocked here and discussion of how to use the following workarounds to get what we want to see.

One free suggestion is to try changing your DNS to Google DNS or OpenDNS. There's instructions on the interwebs about how to accomplish this.

A second free suggestion - use a free port-scanning web site to find out which ports are open and which are blocked. The difference between my old residential and current business Comcast set ups are big - my residential modem had dozens of ports closed, but Comcast offered lots of pay alternatives, but my commercial modem has basically nothing blocked. My sis had so many ports blocked on her U-Verse modem she ended up switching to a business account (with my recommendation) and I hardly ever have to troubleshoot for her anymore - a good thing. Again, there's lots of instructions of how to optimize your ATV/modem relationship on the interwebs.

What you may need to consider: the not-free suggestion is to pay for a VPN service, which I've done in the past with great success for getting my fix when I'm in Canada or Europe but many, many others do to get around service blocking - which is what might be happening to you. A VPN that advertises workarounds you are looking for is likely the easiest - and most cost-effective, considering the per-hour price of therapy - is likely the solution that will make you happy. You'll only need the VPN until about mid-January, when the nat'l championship game is scheduled - so, for the price of a nice dinner with your friends, you can use a VPN to watch games on the ESPN app and get your friends to bring the BBQ and brews over to your house. Besides, several VPNs will give you week to try them out at no cost - IMO MR forums isn't the place to look for VPNs that address what you're looking for, as most of the guys I know that have Macs wouldn't know a football from a hammer or a salmon or a mason jar. I put a call out to my sis to find out which VPN she ended up signing for, but I think she's out of town for the week. It's Week 1 - I wouldn't wait! :D

9. Hookemfins thread starter macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

I'm running the Google DNS on my Macs but forgot about iPad.

Thanks for the info.

I did find my own work around. I took the ATV with the iPad to my brothers house and activated there. Brought it home and watched the entire game. It gives me time to work with Uverse to get this auto log in resolved.

BTW, I need LHN and ESPN longer than mid January. I'm a huge baseball fan and there's Longhorn baseball season yet to be played. :D

10. campyguy macrumors 68040

I didn't think of activating an ATV at someone else's house, but mainly because Comcrap has a near-monopoly here in Portland. I *really* hope Google gets fiber here. :fingers crossed:

It's good you got your fix - my day started with the Alabama-WVU shootout and ended late tonight with the Ducks stomping SD. I didn't shoehorn the Longhorns in this week, but I will next week. I get *really* cranky this time of year if I don't get my NCAAF fix - I'm used to scrambling to get my cycling and soccer fixes.

11. bingfters macrumors newbie

well done,One if the reasons I got ATV was to watch the Longhorn Network and the game Saturday night.[​IMG]