WATCH ESPN woes.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by frankdogg, Oct 4, 2014.

1. frankdogg macrumors regular

frankdogg

ever since this latest update, my ATV's (3rd gen, latest) WATCH ESPN app has been acting up.

Basically what happens is i'm streaming ESPN or ESPN2 and it lags/stutters, then the audio continues on and the video plays catch up. There are even instances where the live video plays on with no sound.

This never used to happen but ever since the update it happens several times a day. I've gone as far as restoring the device but that didn't help.

anyone else getting these annoying problems?

HELP!

(I know it's not a network issue because prior to the update it never happened and my bandwidth is strong enough 300down/20up.)

2. jdag macrumors 6502a

Exact same issues here.

This morning, I decided to reset my Time Capsule router to factory defaults and re-configure. It does seem to have improved the performance of WatchESPN as well as my iPad.

3. BigMacAttack1 macrumors regular

BigMacAttack1

I'm having the exact same issues that you've described and it's extremely frustrating. I called ESPN yesterday and the guy on the line said that he hadn't had anyone else report the problem. He suggested that I log out and back in, which I've already done (in addition to a reset and restart). I actually started going wireless with it yesterday instead of wired to my router and that seemed like it MAY have helped a bit. Definitely still a problem, though. Please quote me if anyone out there has a solution so I can figure this out!

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

It has happened to me during peak hours watching popular sports - Monday Night Football most of the times. It has not occurred when watching some of the more obscure sports. I believe that maybe an issue with the backend ESPN is providing on their servers for your programming.

5. jdag macrumors 6502a

Yes, I will say it is much worse during those popular events.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you are planning to see MNF tonight, try switching out to a stream of some obscure sport: cricket or croquet to see if those streams stutter as well. I would like to see if someone else can validate my thought... thanks.

7. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I agree with this. If it is a popular event, Watch ESPN can suck.

8. frankdogg thread starter macrumors regular

frankdogg

I believe its the update itself. Prior to the update it rarely lagged or when out of sync.

Today while watching mnf. My stream was more consistent with the iPad app vs the Apple TV app

9. frankdogg thread starter macrumors regular

frankdogg

the woes continue.

last night i kept getting "an error occurred..." over and over. closing the app, restarting the apple tv...no dice.

sigh.

10. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Does the Watch ESPN app allow you to watch basically whatever is live on ESPN? I am a customer of DirecTV so I can't use any of the freaking TV channel apps, due to no agreement between the two parties, but was always interested in the ESPN one.

11. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

Nope, just select games.

12. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Well, better than nothing, which is what I have :)

13. BigMacAttack1 macrumors regular

BigMacAttack1

oddly enough - it's working flawlessly today. maybe there was an update? or maybe not enough people are watching the Rams upset the 49ers. :p

14. jdag macrumors 6502a

Wish I could say the same. I just was watching for about 15 min, then the dreaded error (although this time not when the broadcast changed to a commercial).

15. BigMacAttack1 macrumors regular

BigMacAttack1

Yeah, it did get choppy for me later in the game. But for nearly an entire football game - it worked - WOW! :p

16. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I've not had any problems and my AppleTV's are set to automatically update. I watched for several several hours the last two Saturday's with only maybe once a game it would error out of the game, but clicking on the game would bring it right back up. No studdering, clear picture, etc....

17. critter13 macrumors 6502

Same

Same issues with me, it does seem to happen at peak times like MNF but it never used to happen. Anyone wonder if ISPs are throttling it during peak?

18. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Happened to me again tonight during MNF. As it got later the performance improved. Tells me it is an ESPN issue.

19. nageoel macrumors newbie

Definitely ATV, not ESPN issue

I have been having consistent problems with Watch ESPN on my ATV. Last night I was watching a college basketball game and got the same freezes and error messages. So I decided to watch using my iPad. Absolutely no problem whatsoever. Streamed smoothly. Same event. Same wireless internet connection. There must be a bug in the Apple TV software that causes problems with the Watch ESPN app. Very frustrating.