WATCH ESPN woes.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Mid-Wilshire LA
ever since this latest update, my ATV's (3rd gen, latest) WATCH ESPN app has been acting up.

Basically what happens is i'm streaming ESPN or ESPN2 and it lags/stutters, then the audio continues on and the video plays catch up. There are even instances where the live video plays on with no sound.

This never used to happen but ever since the update it happens several times a day. I've gone as far as restoring the device but that didn't help.

anyone else getting these annoying problems?

HELP!

(I know it's not a network issue because prior to the update it never happened and my bandwidth is strong enough 300down/20up.)

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Exact same issues here.

This morning, I decided to reset my Time Capsule router to factory defaults and re-configure. It does seem to have improved the performance of WatchESPN as well as my iPad.

BigMacAttack1

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I'm having the exact same issues that you've described and it's extremely frustrating. I called ESPN yesterday and the guy on the line said that he hadn't had anyone else report the problem. He suggested that I log out and back in, which I've already done (in addition to a reset and restart). I actually started going wireless with it yesterday instead of wired to my router and that seemed like it MAY have helped a bit. Definitely still a problem, though. Please quote me if anyone out there has a solution so I can figure this out!

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
It has happened to me during peak hours watching popular sports - Monday Night Football most of the times. It has not occurred when watching some of the more obscure sports. I believe that maybe an issue with the backend ESPN is providing on their servers for your programming.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
It has happened to me during peak hours watching popular sports - Monday Night Football most of the times. It has not occurred when watching some of the more obscure sports. I believe that maybe an issue with the backend ESPN is providing on their servers for your programming.
Yes, I will say it is much worse during those popular events.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
Yes, I will say it is much worse during those popular events.
If you are planning to see MNF tonight, try switching out to a stream of some obscure sport: cricket or croquet to see if those streams stutter as well. I would like to see if someone else can validate my thought... thanks.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I agree with this. If it is a popular event, Watch ESPN can suck.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Mid-Wilshire LA
I believe its the update itself. Prior to the update it rarely lagged or when out of sync.

Today while watching mnf. My stream was more consistent with the iPad app vs the Apple TV app

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Mid-Wilshire LA
the woes continue.

last night i kept getting "an error occurred..." over and over. closing the app, restarting the apple tv...no dice.

sigh.

Suture

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
Does the Watch ESPN app allow you to watch basically whatever is live on ESPN? I am a customer of DirecTV so I can't use any of the freaking TV channel apps, due to no agreement between the two parties, but was always interested in the ESPN one.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Does the Watch ESPN app allow you to watch basically whatever is live on ESPN? I am a customer of DirecTV so I can't use any of the freaking TV channel apps, due to no agreement between the two parties, but was always interested in the ESPN one.
Nope, just select games.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Wish I could say the same. I just was watching for about 15 min, then the dreaded error (although this time not when the broadcast changed to a commercial).

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I've not had any problems and my AppleTV's are set to automatically update. I watched for several several hours the last two Saturday's with only maybe once a game it would error out of the game, but clicking on the game would bring it right back up. No studdering, clear picture, etc....

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Same

Same issues with me, it does seem to happen at peak times like MNF but it never used to happen. Anyone wonder if ISPs are throttling it during peak?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Same issues with me, it does seem to happen at peak times like MNF but it never used to happen. Anyone wonder if ISPs are throttling it during peak?
Happened to me again tonight during MNF. As it got later the performance improved. Tells me it is an ESPN issue.

nageoel

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2015
Definitely ATV, not ESPN issue

I have been having consistent problems with Watch ESPN on my ATV. Last night I was watching a college basketball game and got the same freezes and error messages. So I decided to watch using my iPad. Absolutely no problem whatsoever. Streamed smoothly. Same event. Same wireless internet connection. There must be a bug in the Apple TV software that causes problems with the Watch ESPN app. Very frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.