Watch Face activates too late?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by samiznaetekto, Apr 7, 2015.

1. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Watch Pharrell's video frame by frame. The watch face activates when the watch is already at about 60 degrees from horizontal, facing the camera. If someone were to check the time while standing, it's way too late, usually you bring the watch close to horizontal or even at some angle away from you.

Do you think this fail will be an annoying issue in actual use?

View attachment Pharrel.mp4.zip

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. samiznaetekto, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015

samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

1st moment the screen lit up.

Pharrell1.png

Also, the watch is only readable because he brings it at such an angle as to use the dark side of the house as a reflection. It'll be barely readable when sky is reflected:

Pharrell2.png

(note how sky reflection is as bright or brighter as dial numbers or Micky's hands)

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

This has got to be the first (and likely last) time anyone has analyzed The Voice frame by frame.

----------

I'd be more concerned about the dead parrot, bloody rags, whatever that is wrapped around his wrist next to the watch.

5. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

You must be new here. :D

6. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Oh, absolutely. Lategate just might convince me to buy a Samsung Gear S!

7. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

who would even buy an apple watch, like really its not practical at all.

8. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

LateGate. :p

I hope it's quick... It's all about glances...

9. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

Omg this is really funny. Do you have any idea what you're talking about, or are you specifically trying to say bad things about the watch, which you know are ridiculous and untrue? Let me start by saying the screen coming on can't be analyzed by this video, because HE IS SPECIFICALLY trying to make it epic by waiting until the last second to rotate his wrist. Normally you'll be raising and rotating your wrist simultaneously....... The screen should be on before it gets anywhere near that high. As for the sky reflectance, you just cannot be serious. You just can't. I'll go ahead and explain it anyway though. You see, light reflects off of glass. If you turn the watch at an angle away from your face, you aren't going to see the display very well, lmao. Luckily you are wearing a watch, and you'll turn it directly toward your face instead of aiming it into the sky for some unknown reason. Go try the same with your phone and tell us how it works out for you.

10. sterl320 macrumors 6502

lol people are really grasping of straws here. I mean the thorough analyzation here is just impeccable.

11. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

> HE IS SPECIFICALLY trying to make it epic by waiting until the last second to rotate his wrist. Normally you'll be raising and rotating your wrist simultaneously.......

To me it looks like a careful movement to make sure the screen comes up. Similar to what we've seen Kevin Lynch do on the keynote stage. Careful, not deliberate like we do in real life.

We'll find out soon how annoying this issue is gonna be in real life. My guess is this forum will be FLOODED with screams and %%&^%&^@#@@$%@#'s. :D

> The screen should be on before it gets anywhere near that high.

That's what I said, too: it SHOULD. But it didn't. :rolleyes:

> you'll turn it directly toward your face instead of aiming it into the sky for some unknown reason. Go try the same with your phone and tell us how it works out for you.

If you're in an open space and facing the sun and aim your watch directly at your face, you'll see the bright reflection of your face, which might be even brighter than the sky. You'll have to turn away and use your own shadow to read the watch. You've never had problems reading your phone in sunlight? Never turned away just to make a shadow and read the screen?

12. sterl320 macrumors 6502

Actually it wouldn't be practical for the watch to turn on before it gets to a proper distance from your face. If it was programmed to do so, it would turn on a lot more than needed, and at times when you aren't trying to look at the watch. That can kill the battery by it being used way more than intended, which would be even more annoying than having to wait an extra 4th of a second for the screen to show.

I personally think if the watch turns on in the way it did in the video every time, I"d be perfectly happy with it.

13. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

Why can't you think about it instead of jumping to conclusions? Like your Kevin lynch keynote comment. That was the first keynote, back in September, when the OS was still very glitchy, as could be seen in the numerous backstage demo videos. It stands to reason that he would do that in a deliberate way. It also stands to reason that he'd do it in a deliberate way to...you know...show the audience the very thing he was trying to describe... If he just raised his wrist normally and the screen were already on before the audience even saw it come on, you'd be here saying that it was staged and the watch face was on the entire time lol. As far as this video, if definitely doesn't seem like it was done in a deliberate way. IT WASNT EVEN A LIVE VIDEO. What possible reason would he have to be so deliberate if he could redo the video a thousand times to get it right? The reason he did that was as I said...to make it seem cooler and epic as opposed to simply being on when he raised his wrist.

Of course you'll see reflections in the watch, that was my point, it will be just like the phone. The thing is, you seemed to be pointing out that you could see clouds lmao. It wasn't facing him at that point... These displays will always be more clear and bright when they're aimed directly at your face, due to multiple reasons, one being reflectance.

14. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Oh wow, I just loved this comment. :p

15. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I see no issue at all here.

And this is coming from an Apple Watch critic.

16. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

Thank you!

17. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

Bookmarked. Let's revisit in a couple of months.

18. kovey macrumors 6502a

19. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Quite! I wasn't on MR when the iPhone and iPad were launched.. I'm sitting this revision out but that doesn't mean I'm not excited to see the hype and product launch.
    I want it to be a success so they keep it going and put a GPS in for those of us want it.
    I know it's comparing chalk and cheese but my vivoactive has a GPS and lasts a week without it on (I am well aware of the screen differences to make this happen before anyone says so).

20. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

Even The Ultimate Fanboi Gruber confirms:

http://daringfireball.net/2015/04/the_apple_watch

21. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

Another one

http://www.theverge.com/a/apple-watch-review

Nilay Patel:

22. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

But this is an Apple sub-forum on Macrumors. It's not like we're here to discuss third world countries, starving families, and war.

23. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

This is actually the one thing I am concerned about as with the pebble the 'auto' backlight was always under used. Obviously it will depend on how its used, but with the pebble you really needed to 'flick' your wrist (a deliberate action) for it to light up. Not a big deal, but an annoyance, even on a device that is 'already on' IE: in most situations I could still read it.
    If this apple watch is THAT sensitive, like the video, I see it failing as a Gen 1. There is no way it need to be off that long / until that angle. I know a lot of people will say 'but then itll turn on too much' - isnt that what we all complained about when we first heard that it wont stay on all day? This is the most important thing to me is how they balance the battery vs true 'Glances'
    I hope there is a sensitivity setting or something to get it to come on sooner, or with a slightly more deliberate action, because I dont want to 'Bring it to my face' to see it. I am hoping to glance at it.
    Now I do expect that per the 'day with :Apple:Watch, when notifications come in, itll already be lit up so I wont need to 'bring it to my face' to see whats up.

24. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

All these bugs will be easily fixed with future software updates

25. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

I don't think we will have that issue. It's a video being broken down and criticized. I'm sure that the Apple Engineers can make the screen light up at a reasonable time...